Ellie and Will seem to have reached the end of their relationship. No matter how hard they try to come back towards the center, they can’t seem to communicate without fighting with each other. As a result of their breakdown in communication, their connection is starting to deteriorate. It all started when Will found flirtatious texts to a coworker on Ellie’s phone, and Ellie’s avoidance of the subject isn’t helping. At this point, they’ve spent the past two weeks trading passive-aggressive comments back and forth, and generally avoid each other around the house when possible.
Ellie wants to make things right, and she doesn’t want to lose Will. But she also knows that she’s afraid of talking about the mistakes that she has made. What if her explanation isn’t good enough, and she loses him? Ellie wants to prioritize their relationship, so she’s scheduled a session with a couples therapist—someone who can potentially help them communicate, heal, and grow.
At Thriveworks in Evergreen Park, IL, we know that every relationship is going to have good times and bad. It’s also not possible to expect our partner or ourselves to be perfect either. But relationships aren’t ultimately about being perfect; they’re about building a strong foundation through healthy communication and respect for your partner as well as for yourself. If you or your loved one are resistant to the idea of relationship therapy or marriage counseling, it might be because it feels invasive to share your private matters with a stranger.
Do We Need Couples Therapy?
Our team of providers values your relationship and its independence. It’s a crucial part of being able to provide you and your partner with comprehensive support and assistance. Our relationship therapists and marriage counselors are committed to helping to preserve the bond that couples share. Seeking a mental health professional’s assistance with your shared difficulties is a proactive method of preserving your relationship.
That being said, it is up to you and your partner to decide if you can benefit from talking to a provider. If you’re unsure of whether or not you need assistance with your relationship problems, there are common indications that may warn of unhealthy dynamics between couples, including:
- Arguments that last for hours or days
- Avoiding physical touch or sex
- Lying and other forms of emotional manipulation
- Passive-aggressive comments or abusive behavior
- Inability to respect each other’s boundaries
These behaviors may indicate that a couple is experiencing communication difficulties and is not able to communicate or establish clear boundaries. Those in relationships can often benefit from the impartial guidance offered by a therapist or counselor; because reinforcing respectful communication and understanding can benefit any couple at any stage in their connection.
Couples therapists and marriage counselors can assist partners to:
- Establish healthy boundaries
- Rekindle sexual intimacy together
- Help both partners manage anger or anxiety
- Highlight the importance and need for compromise
- Rebuild trust after infidelity or dishonesty
How Does Couples Counseling Work?
Relationship counseling is designed to benefit both of you by:
- Using feedback from both partners to establish healthy boundaries for communication
- Rebuilding trust by working through tough issues like infidelity or verbal abuse
- Rekindling intimacy by exploring physical aspects of your relationship
- Highlighting the importance and need for compromise with your therapist
While sometimes, only one of you may be interested in contacting us for mental health assistance, couples therapy or marriage counseling can be extremely beneficial for both partners. Perhaps it’s your partner that may be resistant, but it’s essential to be reminded that our counselors don’t pick sides—they’re impartial allies.
See a Marriage or Relationship Counselor in Evergreen Park, IL
Couples who enroll with Thriveworks get access to some of the industry’s best benefits. We’ve got you covered with:
- Online therapy: With online therapy, moving your relationship forward doesn’t need to be held up by your busy schedule or time spent apart for work or travel. As long as you can talk privately, and get access to the internet, you and your partner can still attend sessions together.
- Scheduling assistance 7 days a week: Our scheduling specialists are available every day of the week, helping you find the right counselor to fit your needs and the schedule that fits both of your lives.
- Same-day appointments and 23.5-hour cancellations: If something comes up or you aren’t feeling well, rest assured that you won’t be charged for missing your session, as long as you give us a 23.5-hour notice.
From our team of scheduling specialists to our couples therapists and relationship counselors, Thriveworks in Evergreen Park, IL has the resources to help you reach new heights in your relationship. If you and the one you love think that your relationship could benefit from the expertise of a mental health professional, don’t hesitate to give us a call.