Since he lost his father to cancer nearly six months ago, Todd’s been reckoning with waves of grief. He’s talked with his wife and siblings, but it doesn’t seem like the weight of his father’s death will lessen on its own. Since the funeral, Todd has been scraping by at his job, and is doing his best to keep up with his family: He hides his pain under a false smile. At this point, Todd is wondering what he should do—pretending like everything is fine won’t help his mental health.
Todd knows that he needs assistance and is concerned that his father’s death may put him at risk of developing depression. That’s why Todd is looking to schedule a depression therapy session, to talk with a mental health professional about the issues surrounding his father’s passing. While he knows that it could take some time for him to fully process and recover from losing one of his family members, Todd feels hopeful that connecting with a mental health professional will give him the support and assistance he needs.
Depression can be a debilitating and serious mental health condition—facing it alone isn’t necessary. At Thriveworks in Evergreen Park, IL we have providers who can help you manage the painful symptoms of your depression. Call our office today to schedule a depression therapy session and start reclaiming your emotional wellbeing.
Am I Depressed? What Are the Symptoms of Depression?
Depression, like many other mental health conditions, can have unique triggers to each individual’s situation. If you’re diagnosed with depression, your symptoms vary when compared to someone else. That being said, there are several common signs that might indicate that you’re suffering from depression, including:
- A noted lack of interest in sex, hobbies, or relationships
- Feeling distant from loved ones and friends
- Decreased work performance
- Feeling chronically fatigued
- Overeating or avoiding eating
- Lack of self-care (i.e. personal hygiene or a clean living environment)
Only a trained professional, like one of our providers, can give an accurate mental health diagnosis. So while it’s tempting to self-diagnose, trust that your feedback will be appreciated and heard. Your personal experience and journey play a pivotal role in your treatment process.
Psychologists vs. Psychiatrists: What’s the Difference?
At Thriveworks in Evergreen Park, IL, both our psychologists and our psychiatrists can help everyday people treat and manage their depression. Each provider type has a different treatment approach and can assist you in coping with depression in different ways.
Psychologists help those with depression by:
- Serving as a verbal and emotional outlet for those burdened by this mood disorder
- Using talk and behavioral therapy to implement coping strategies for clients
- Creating a professional connection with their client to better understand their depression
Psychiatrists, are often a better option for those with more severe cases of depression, and are:
- Medical doctors who are licensed to conduct therapy sessions
- Able to prescribe medicine and therapy as needed to assist people
Regardless of the mental health professional that you’re paired with, their goal will be to assist you with reducing the harmful effects of depression on your daily life.
What Type of Depression Could I Have?
“Depression” as we commonly think of it, actually refers to a group of closely related emotional disorders. There are many forms of depression, and they often have different symptoms, depending on the individual. Some common types of depression that our providers can assist with include:
- Major depression: This disorder causes emotional detachment, sadness, hopelessness, and apathy. Those who suffer from major depression may become socially isolated, further exacerbating their condition. It’s what most people think of when they hear the word “depression.”
- Minor depression: Less severe than major depression but just as harmful. this disorder may go long periods without feeling depressed, identifying what’s triggering their sadness can be difficult for those with minor depression.
- Bipolar disorder: B Those with bipolar disorder may feel extremely happy for a minute, and furious or depressed in the next.
- Postpartum depression: Postpartum depression affects women after giving birth, and those who underwent caesarian sections or had a miscarriage are at higher risk. This disorder can onset immediately after delivery or months after childbirth.
Schedule a Depression Therapy Session at Thriveworks in Evergreen Park, IL
Getting help with the symptoms of depression shouldn’t be difficult; that’s why at Thriveworks in Evergreen Park, IL, we’ve made it as easy as possible to get the professional help you deserve. So give us a call to enroll; you’ll be assisted by our scheduling specialists. When you’ve finished enrolling, you’ll unlock an array of exclusive benefits, including:
- Online therapy: Meet with your provider virtually, and enjoy the freedom to do so from home or the office.
- Our Therapy Buddy app: A personal progress assistant that helps track your journey as you attend therapy.
- A digital copy of “Leaving Depression Behind”: A valuable resource that aims to help people recover from and cope with anxiety.
- Flexible cancellations
- Talk with a life coach at Thriveworks: Our Q/A chat line can help you out in-between appointments.
Call Thriveworks in Evergreen Park, IL to be matched with a mental health professional, one that has the experience and professional insight you need to start putting depression behind you.