The famous psychoanalyst Carl Jung once stated, “Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word happy would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness.” We would not be fully human if we were joyful all the time. Our minds and our lives are partially shaped by suffering and adverse experiences. We can, however, find opportunities for growth and wisdom in our pain. That’s where psychologists can help.
The licensed psychologists at Thriveworks in Encinitas, CA can provide people with the expert mental health resources to help guide them toward their goals. Psychologists use evidence-based therapies like cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) to treat anxiety, depression, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and other mental health conditions. Psychologists can also help people examine their lives and experiences, and help them find comfort, coping strategies, and even enlightenment.
What Are Psychologists? How Do They Differ from Counselors, Psychotherapists?
If you’re new to the mental health field, you may be confused by all the different types of mental health providers available at Thriveworks in Encinitas, CA. To make matters even more complex, each kind of provider may have a subspeciality within their field, like a depression counselor who excels at treating women who have postpartum depression, or a marriage therapist who has vast experience treating LGBTQ couples. But let’s start with the main types of mental health providers you’ll find at Thriveworks in Encinitas, CA:
- Psychologists (PsyDs or PhDs), who have graduate degrees in psychology and can provide psychotherapy (talk therapy) of all modalities. They can be clinical or counseling psychologists.
- Licensed clinical social workers (LCSWs), who have master’s degrees in social work and can provide psychotherapy as well as practical guidance for local social services.
- Licensed professional counselors (LPCs), who provide solution-focused psychotherapy.
- Psychotherapists, who provide talk therapy. They can be psychiatrists, counselors, psychologists, or social workers.
- Marriage and family therapists (MFTs), who provide therapy for couples and families.
- Certified addiction treatment counselors (CATCs), who treat addiction and substance abuse issues.
- Psychiatrists (MDs), who can legally prescribe psychotropic medication in addition to providing psychotherapy.
- Telepsychiatrists, who are psychiatrists at Thriveworks in Encinitas, CA who can conduct therapy online or over the phone through a secure connection.
At Thriveworks, our mental health providers are all colleagues and they can refer clients to each other as needed. If you’re not sure whose mental health services you’d benefit the most from, we can help you figure it out.
What Kinds of Treatment Can I Expect from a Psychologist?
A psychologist at Thriveworks in Encinitas, CA can potentially provide all kinds of mental health services with the exception of prescribing and managing medication, which only a licensed Thriveworks psychiatrist can do. A psychologist might utilize any of the following therapies as part of your uniquely tailored treatment plan:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR)
- Cognitive restructuring
- Affect regulation
- Behavioral activation
- Mindfulness training
- Exposure therapy
- Psychoeducation about mental health topics affecting you
- Writing therapy
- Socratic dialogue
How Do I Choose the Right Psychologist for Me?
Before you see a psychologist, you should ask yourself the following basic questions:
- Is the psychologist licensed? All mental health providers at Thriveworks in Encinitas, CA are fully licensed and can deliver premium psychological treatment.
- Does the psychologist offer online sessions? The mental health providers at Thriveworks use the latest telehealth technology so they can offer secure, online, HIPAA-compliant therapy sessions to their clients.
- Can I afford this psychologist? The mental health providers at Thriveworks accept most health insurance policies.
- Will I need prescription medication? If you think you may need prescription medication, reach out to a licensed psychiatrist in the Thriveworks community. If you’re not sure if psychiatric drugs will be required, a psychologist can give you a comprehensive assessment and refer you to a psychiatrist if necessary.
- Is the psychologist experienced in my particular issue? The mental health providers at Thriveworks collectively have decades of experience in a wide range of specialized issues, including eating disorders, anxiety, communication, depression, and more.
Start Your Fruitful Relationship with a Licensed Psychologist at Thriveworks in Encinitas, CA Today
When you join the Thriveworks community, you get to schedule sessions with our exceptional counselors and psychologists, and you also receive added benefits like unlimited email and phone access to your provider between appointments. The counseling sessions at Thriveworks start early or on-time 97% of the time. You will also benefit from our flexible 23.5hr cancellation policy.
Our counselors are always available to answer your life questions through our Ask-a-Coach 24hr Q&A service. And you can conveniently book your appointments over the phone, through our website, or via the Therapy Buddy app.
We want to make it easy for you to get the mental health services you deserve, so you can find your path to happiness. Call Thriveworks today to find out more!