On the subject of depression, the writer and theologian C.S. Lewis once stated, “Mental pain is less dramatic than physical pain, but it is more common and also more hard to bear.” A person suffering from severe depression might argue that it is, in fact, very dramatic! Though the condition may be invisible to others. Part of what makes depression so isolating is that emotions, unlike physical symptoms, are abstract and subjective. C.S. Lewis continued, “The frequent attempt to conceal mental pain increases the burden: it is easier to say ‘My tooth is aching’ than to say ‘My heart is broken.’”
If you feel as if you’re suffering alone and your despair is invisible to others, the licensed depression counselors at Thriveworks in Encinitas, CA can help. The therapists, psychiatrists, and counselors at Thriveworks have extensive experience diagnosing, treating, and helping to prevent depression. Depending on what kind of premium mental health care provider you see at Thriveworks in Encinitas, CA, you will have access to resources like solution-based counseling, evidence-based psychotherapy, and prescription medication. The depression counselors at Thriveworks can help lift you out of your depression and reorient you so your dreams and goals are back in focus.
What Are the Common Signs and Symptoms of Depression?
Clinical depression is a mental health disorder enshrined in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, 5th Edition, aka the DSM-5. People can experience depression in varying degrees of severity, from mild to severe, and symptoms can last anywhere from two weeks to several years. Signs and symptoms of depression that you can look out for in yourself or in your friends and family include the following:
- Persistent depressed mood (feeling consistently sad and/or negative)
- Anhedonia (a loss of interest or pleasure in activities you used to enjoy)
- Overwhelming feelings of guilt or worthlessness
- Physical fatigue
- Unintentional weight changes due to shifts in appetite
- Sleep changes
- Changes in sex drive
- Diminished energy levels in thought and action (psychomotor retardation)
- Psychomotor agitation
Are There Different Types of Depression Disorders?
Though the symptoms of depression are often similar across different types of depression disorders, therapists at Thriveworks in Encinitas, CA will want to pinpoint what kind of depression someone is experiencing so they can develop the most effective treatment plan. Here are five common types of depression disorder:
- Bipolar affective disorder or manic depression
- Major, moderate, and mild depression
- Postpartum depression (PPD)
- Persistent depressive disorder (PDD) or dysthymia
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
A Thriveworks therapist will want to know the context for someone’s depression. For example, have they recently experienced a loss and they’re going through a period of acute bereavement? Have they just had a baby and their depression is partially caused by hormonal changes? Do they only get depressed in the winter time and if so, might they benefit from light therapy treatments? Knowing someone’s triggers can also be important in treating and preventing depression.
Are Depression and Anxiety Treated the Same Way?
Depression and anxiety are often psychologically linked because one condition can influence the other, and vice versa. The depression counselors at Thriveworks in Encinitas, CA are skilled at picking apart depression and anxiety symptoms, and deciding how best to treat each condition. As you can see below, some treatments can overlap.
- Pharmaceutical interventions (e.g., benzodiazepines, buspirone, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors aka SSRIs), prescribed by a licensed Thriveworks psychiatrist
- Psychotherapy (talk therapy)
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Substance abuse treatment
- Other cognitive therapies
- Self-care through lifestyle changes (diet and exercise)
- Mindfulness and/or meditation
- Group or couples therapy from a licensed marriage and family therapist (LMFT) at Thriveworks
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing therapy (EMDR)
- Pharmaceutical interventions (e.g., antidepressants like SSRIs)
- CBT and other cognitive therapies
- Changes in diet and exercise
- Holistic treatments like mindfulness and meditation
- Behavior therapy
- Couples counseling
- Family therapy
- Substance abuse treatment
Start a Healing Relationship with a Depression Counselor at Thriveworks in Encinitas, CA
We want to make it easy for you to get the mental health resources you need at Thriveworks in Encinitas, CA. Our depression counselors are fully licensed, highly qualified, and top-rated to deliver the exceptional support you need to help you overcome your depression and achieve your goals.
When you call the Thriveworks office during our extended business hours, you’ll reach a human being, not a voicemail. If you have questions about whether your health insurance will cover your sessions (it probably will) or if your counselor can meet with you online (they probably can), our trained office staff can give you the information you need. And we can usually find you an appointment quickly, so you can meet with your skilled and compassionate therapist within 24-48 hours!
Call our office today to learn more about our convenient scheduling options and our exclusive membership benefits. We can’t wait to welcome you to our mental wellness community!