Depression can have a major impact on our mental, emotional, and physical well-being. It is often categorized by intense feelings of sadness and disinterest coupled with headaches, dizziness, fatigue, or other bodily symptoms. It is a common illness that can have profound effects on our day-to-day lives, from the way we view ourselves to the way we interact with others.
But depression can be managed with professional care, persistence, and the right tools. With the help of a psychologist, therapist, psychiatrist, or another mental healthcare provider, you can alleviate the symptoms of your depressive disorder and help prevent future flare-ups.
At Thriveworks in Elmhurst, IL, we’ve worked with countless individuals to help them manage depression and other mood disorders. If you’ve ever felt the weight of depression, consider reaching out to our professional staff for guidance. We’d be happy to answer your questions and work with you.
Different Types and Causes of Depression
The word “depression” is often used as a catchall term for a series of depressive disorders. While there may be commonalities between the different forms of depression, each has a specific list of symptoms that are generally associated with it.
Some of the most common types of depression include:
- Bipolar depression, which consists of intense mood swings from low (depression) to high (mania). There are many subtypes of bipolar depression but general symptoms include restlessness, trouble concentrating, and risk-taking. It may be caused by genetics, brain chemistry, or other contributing factors.
- Major depressive disorder (MDD), which is often characterized by persistent feelings of sadness and worthlessness, disinterest in activities that were once joyful, and thoughts of suicide. MDD is a serious mental illness that may be caused by long-term medical conditions, genetics, childhood trauma, or other factors such as substance abuse. Persistent depressive disorder (PDD) is similar but less severe than major depressive disorder and can last for two years or more.
- Postpartum depression, or depression that occurs as a result of the hormonal impacts of pregnancy. People with this type of depression often experience sleeplessness, fatigue, and anxiety. They may withdraw from friends and family and have difficulty focusing.
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD), which is a seasonal bout of depression that typically occurs in the fall and winter months. SAD may cause lethargy, insomnia, weight gain, and other symptoms.
- Premenstrual dysphoric disorder (PMDD), which usually begins a week or so before menstruation and includes anxiety, irritability, and extreme fatigue. It may also include physical symptoms such as bloating, vomiting, and muscle cramping.
If you have ever felt persistent feelings of sadness, apathy, or fatigue, consider contacting us at Thriveworks in Elmhurst, IL. Our mental health providers are committed to tailoring a treatment plan that works best for you.
How Can Depression Therapy Help?
Depression and other mood disorders may be serious illnesses, but they can also be managed. A therapist, psychologist, psychiatrist, or other mental healthcare professional can work with you to diagnose and treat your disorder.
Treating depression doesn’t have a one-size-fits-all solution. Every treatment plan is different and depends on the unique circumstances of the person seeking assistance. Nevertheless, there are some common tools that licensed professionals use when treating patients with depression. These can include:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) and other forms of talk-based therapy
- Medication, which can be used in combination with other treatments
- Light therapy, which may be used to regulate moods
- Self-care techniques that can be practiced at home and in-office
Not every treatment plan will be right for every client. To determine what will work for you, your provider must first assess and diagnose your specific illness or disorder. To take the first step, call our staffing experts in Elmhurst, IL to make an appointment.
Book a Depression Counseling Appointment in Elmhurst, IL
Depression symptoms affect millions of people but the stigma surrounding counseling often prevents people from seeking the help they need. However, there is no shame in getting help when you need it.
If you’d like to pursue wellness and find relief, consider reaching out to us at Thriveworks in Elmhurst, IL. Depression does not have to stop you from fulfilling your goals and living and happy, healthy life.
Our licensed mental health professionals offer online counseling via phone and email. Weekend and evening sessions are available, and our offices have early opening hours and late closing hours. Additionally, we accept many different types of insurance and offer a flexible cancellation policy. If you’re a new client, we might even be able to accommodate a same- or next-day appointment.
When you’re ready to make a change, click our booking widget or call us at Thriveworks in Elmhurst, IL to schedule a visit.