Anorexia and Bulimia Disorder Therapy – Counselors in Charlotte
Cases of anorexia and bulimia have increased to 30 million in the United States alone. This report is alarming knowing that these eating disorders cause a serious threat to the people affected. Some cases can even be fatal. However it is important to note that eating disorders can be prevented and can be treated. The Charlotte counseling may be an effective solution to this problem.
However, based on National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders’ report, only 10 percent of the affected population have been receiving treatment, thus there is still a significant number of people who are left untreated. They are in serious risk of both physical and mental deterioration.
What are the causes of anorexia and bulimia?
People who are suffering from anorexia and bulimia are very conscious of their body image and while this seems to be a simple problem, these eating disorders may be caused by other important factors:
1. The person’s genetics can increase the risk up to 12 times when he/she has family members that are suffering from disorder. The person’s genes can also affect his/her behavior towards food.
2. A person who is undergoing depression also shows manifestations of eating disorders. Eating disorders can also cause depression.
3. The past experiences of the person can also affect his/her perception of body image and ideal weight. His/her self-esteem can also be affected by these experiences especially when they were traumatic such as physical, sexual, or emotional abuse.
4. The person may be obsessed with fad and unhealthy diets and weight-loss products that significantly impact their perception of his/her body image.
5. The people around him/her can greatly influence his/her perception of body image. His/her peers may make him/her think that being stick-thin is the most attractive type of body.
What are the symptoms of Eating Disorders?
- Depression and anxiety.
- Obsession over body image and body weight.
- Intent to avoid eating food.
- Feeling of guilt and shame over eating.
- Episodes of binge eating which is alternated with vomiting of food intake.
- Eating a highly restrictive diet that reduces essential nutrients over a period of time to achieve weight loss.
What are the risks involved with eating disorders and what is the best treatment to cure them?
Unhealthy diets and irregular eating habits can cause serious health threats. Your body needs the right amount of vitamins and nutrients and once they are not sufficient, your body will suffer from serious ailments. Stroke and hypertension—these are just some of the most life threatening illnesses that you can experience if you continue to suppress yourself with a proper diet.
Apart from your body suffering from all these challenges, your mental health will also be at risk. Experiencing the repeated cycle of shame and guilt can trigger depression. Studies have also shown that suicide has a strong association with eating disorders.
Begin a new life without suffering from eating disorders and start a healthy lifestyle that will save you from the dangers of eating disorders. Start with the Charlotte counseling for anorexia and bulimia.