Rebecca and her husband, Troy, have been having difficulties with their marriage for the past several months. Although they once used to be able to communicate without any issues, they’ve grown apart—Troy’s not really sure why. He wants to talk with his wife, but when he tries, their conversation spirals out of control. The arguments are starting to get out of hand, and he’s concerned about the long-term wellbeing of their relationship at this point.
Last night over dinner, Troy suggested that they consider talking with a marriage counselor about the communication difficulties they’ve been experiencing. Rebecca feels uncertain, but she agrees with Troy; having a professional to help them navigate together towards resolutions could be beneficial. Plus, considering they have different work schedules, Rebecca feels open to talking with their counselor virtually.
If you and your partner are experiencing difficulties in your own relationship, it’s worth considering whether or not you could both benefit from talking with a couples therapist or marriage counselor about the issues you’re faced with. It might seem intimidating to talk with a mental health professional about your connection with your partner, but doing so can help both of you to grow and heal as a couple. If you’d like to give it a try, consider reaching out to Thriveworks in Carmel, IN. We can set you up with a marriage counselor or couples therapist.
What Are the Benefits of Talking with a Marriage Counselor or Couples Therapist?
Even though talking with a mental health professional may be a decision that both of you come together to decide on, when you do, you’ll both be gaining a mental health ally that can help you to find solid ground once more. A couples therapist or marriage counselor with our team can assist you by teaching both partners to:
- Establish healthy boundaries
- Highlight the importance and need for compromise
- Rebuild trust after infidelity or dishonesty
- Rekindle sexual intimacy together
- Help both partners manage anger or anxiety
Marriage counselors and couples therapists are committed to helping couples just like you to achieve happiness and reignite their bonds of love and trust. In fact, that’s one of the reasons that talking with them is so important—it allows them to understand what’s going on in your relationship. With that feedback, they can offer coping strategies and communication methods that are designed just for you.
Do We Need Relationship Help?
Ultimately, you and your partner are the ones who decide whether or not you need to talk to a mental health professional. However, there are several common signs or symptoms that indicate that a relationship’s dynamics are becoming unhealthy, including:
- Arguments that last for hours or days
- Passive-aggressive or abusive behavior
- Inability to respect each other’s boundaries
- Avoiding physical touch or sex
- Lying and other forms of emotional manipulation
If you’re experiencing any of these issues, there’s no need to feel shame, but taking the proactive step to seek help from Thriveworks in Carmel, IN is a great way to salvage your connection. Instead of feeling as though counseling or therapy is a sign of defeat, it may be helpful to view it as a way of prioritizing the bonds that hold you together. Taking measures to protect your relationship is what matters most.
Call Thriveworks in Carmel, IN to Schedule Relationship Counseling Today
When you both decide to reach out and talk with a marriage counselor or couple’s therapist at our office in Carmel, IN you’ll be connected with a provider who cares. It might be encouraging to note that most of our clients have their first appointment within 24-48hrs of contacting the office. So give us a call to get started; doing so will unlock exclusive benefits for both of you to take advantage of, such as:
- Online therapy: With online therapy, moving your relationship forward doesn’t need to be held up by your busy schedule or time spent apart for work or travel. As long as you can talk privately, and get access to the internet, you and your partner can still attend sessions together.
- Scheduling assistance 7 days a week: Our scheduling specialists are available every day of the week, helping you find the right counselor to fit your needs and the schedule that fits both of your lives.
- Life coach q/a chat line: For those questions that can’t wait until your next session.
Our romantic relationships are often the most intense and rewarding experiences in our lives. But when things begin to veer off course, it’s important to get the help you both need in order to keep your relationship intact and healthy. If you’re interested in how connecting with a mental health professional could benefit your relationship, call Thriveworks in Carmel, IN today.