Kay hasn’t been herself since she separated from her partner a few months ago. She does her best to carry on as normal, but internally it still feels like there’s a hole where there used to be happiness used to be. Her friends and family are concerned about her wellbeing, but Kay isn’t open to talking about it. The longer that time stretches on, the more it feels like she’s slipping into depression.
Kay doesn’t want to be distant from the people she cares about, but she’s also not sure what to do about her mental state. After doing some reading online, Kay is debating whether she should talk to a mental health professional about what she’s experiencing. She’s not entirely sure what to expect, but feels like having a professional’s assistance could make a big difference.
At Thriveworks in Carmel, IN, we help people just like Kay to reclaim their happiness from depression with our therapy and counseling services. Depression can be a disruptive and damaging mental health condition when it’s allowed to flourish. But with professional help, controlling depression and finding relief can become a possibility.
Could I Be Depressed? What Does Depression Feel Like?
The symptoms of depression vary from person to person, and that’s part of why sharing your experience with our providers is so important. By talking candidly with a therapist, counselor, or psychiatrist, you’re giving them the feedback they need to offer you personalized mental health care. With this in mind, there are several common signs of depression to watch out for, including:
- Feeling chronically fatigued
- Overeating or avoiding eating
- Lack of self-care (i.e. personal hygiene or a clean living environment)
- Abusing drugs or alcohol to cope with emotional pain
- A noted lack of interest in sex, hobbies, or relationships
- Feeling distant from loved ones and friends
- Decreased work performance
These are just a few of the many ways that depression can manifest itself. If you’re diagnosed by a mental health professional, you may find that your experience varies. Our Thriveworks team in Carmel, IN can not only diagnose depression but also help you find relief.
Can Depression Therapy Help Me?
For many people, attending therapy sessions can often be a great way to move forward while dealing with depression. Therapy at Thriveworks in Carmel, IN with one of our counselors, therapists, or psychologists might be an appealing way for you to work through what’s causing your depression. Our providers will:
- Work with you to better understand your depression
- Serve as a verbal and emotional outlet for the burdens of this mood disorder
- Use talk and behavioral therapy to implement coping strategies for you to use in your personal and professional life
Our therapists, counselors, and psychologists are a great option for lots of people, but for others, our online psychiatry program can be an appealing alternative. Psychiatry may help with more severe or persistent forms of depression that may require prescription medication as part of the treatment process.
Are There Different Types of Depression?
“Depression” as a term refers to several different but closely related mood disorders. There are many different forms that depression can take, but some of the most common include:
- Major depression: This disorder causes emotional detachment, sadness, hopelessness, and apathy. Those who suffer from major depression may become socially isolated, further exacerbating their condition. It’s what most people think of when they hear the word “depression”.
- Minor depression: As the name implies, this is less severe than major depression but just as harmful. Because those with this disorder may go long periods without feeling depressed, identifying what’s triggering their sadness can be difficult for those with minor depression.
- Postpartum depression: Postpartum depression affects women who’ve given birth; those who underwent caesarian sections or had a miscarriage are at higher risk. This disorder can onset immediately or months after childbirth.
- Bipolar disorder: Bipolar disorder can cause depression when the mood swings that it causes fluctuate. Those with bipolar disorder may feel extremely happy for a minute, and furious or dejected in the next.
Talk to a Mental Health Professional And Schedule Depression Therapy at Thriveworks, Carmel, IN
If you’re still on the fence about receiving assistance with your mental health, it’s helpful to remember that if left untreated, depression can drive a wedge between you and the people and things you love the most. If you’re interested in seeing how depression therapy could benefit your life, give our office in Carmel, IN a call today. Our scheduling specialist will help you sign up for your Thriveworks membership, and when you’re finished, you’ll get instant access to insider perks, like:
- Online therapy options: Meet with your provider virtually, and enjoy the freedom to do so from home or the office.
- Our Therapy Buddy app: A personal progress assistant that helps track your journey as you attend therapy.
- A digital copy of “Leaving Depression Behind”: A valuable resource that aims to help people recover from and cope with anxiety.
- 23.5 hr cancellations: You can cancel your appointment up to 23.5 hours beforehand.
- The ability to talk with a life coach at Thriveworks: Our Q/A chat line can help you answer those burning questions in-between appointments.
Reach out to our team of providers at Thriveworks in Carmel, IN if you’re ready to start reclaiming your freedom from depression. Dealing with depression doesn’t need to be something you do by yourself—let our mental health professionals partner with you.