James and Tim have been together for years. Through thick and thin they’ve stuck it out, growing together and facing many different challenges as a team. One of the things they pride themselves on the most is how well they know each other. But lately, Tim’s noticed that James seems to be distant, almost as though he’s emotionally drained. When James brings the subject up, Tim seems to be avoidant. Finally the other night, Tim revealed that he’s been seeing someone else. James has done his best to keep calm, but attempts at talking have spiraled into daylong fights on several occasions, and neither is quite sure what to do now.
Thankfully, they’ve been able to sit down again recently and decide on a plan. James is interested in couples therapy as a way to move past their arguments, while Tim is more reluctant. His rationale is that a therapist is a stranger— they shouldn’t be part of their relationship. James, however, thinks that having a third party involved might help to settle out the tension.
If James and Tim’s story sounds familiar to you, then it’s possible that you and your partner have been experiencing a rocky patch in your relationship. There’s no shame in that; mental health professionals, like the couples therapists at Thriveworks, aren’t interested in judging either of you or picking sides. Instead, their goal is to work together with you and your partner, providing stability and guidance as you both find solid ground once more.
What Are The Benefits of Relationship Therapy?
The benefits of relationship therapy are vast, and just like individual therapy, we believe anyone can benefit from it. Relationship therapy works to:
- Establish healthy boundaries
- Highlight the importance and need for compromise
- Rebuild trust after infidelity or dishonesty
- Rekindle sexual intimacy together
- Help both partners manage anger or anxiety
Relationship therapists are licensed mental health professionals. Their goal is to provide partners with therapeutic resources using feedback and personal experiences that are shared with them. That’s why opening up to them is actually a good thing; you’re giving them the information about you that they need to better understand the situation and how they can help.
With that in mind, it might seem like neither of you are entirely comfortable with seeing a therapist for your relationship or marital problems. While each couple is unique, couples that could benefit from professional assistance might be experiencing:
- Arguments that last for hours or days
- Passive-aggressive or abusive behavior
- Inability to respect each other’s boundaries
- Avoiding physical touch or sex
- Lying and other forms of emotional manipulation
There’s no need to feel shame if your relationship is having any of these issues. However, they do indicate that underlying problems aren’t being dealt with properly. Instead of feeling defeated about considering relationship therapy or marriage counseling, it can be viewed as a way to put your relationship first. The most important thing is valuing your connection, and taking proactive steps to preserve it.
Schedule Relationship Therapy and Marriage Counseling in Carlsbad, CA
If you and your partner seek marriage therapy or relationship counseling with our team in Carlsbad, CA, you’ll get access to some of the industry’s best benefits. We’ve got you covered with our:
- Online therapy: With online therapy, moving your relationship forward doesn’t need to be held up by your busy schedule or time spent apart for work or travel. As long as you can talk privately, and get access to the internet, you and your partner can still attend sessions together.
- Scheduling assistance 7 days a week: Our scheduling specialists are available every day of the week, helping you find the right counselor to fit your needs and the schedule that fits both of your lives.
- Life coach q/a chat line: For those questions that can’t wait until your next session.
While it’s always great when partners can make decisions unanimously, it might be that only one of you is interested in connecting with one of our therapists. That’s normal—but we like to remind couples that the mental health professionals at Thriveworks can assist you by:
- Using feedback from both partners to establish healthy boundaries for communication
- Rebuilding trust by working through tough issues like infidelity or verbal abuse
- Rekindling intimacy by exploring physical aspects of your relationship
- Highlighting the importance and need for compromise
If your relationship is struggling, we want to offer our support through relationship counseling and marriage therapy. Our team of mental health professionals in Carlsbad, CA is ready to work with both of you to help you regain the stability and chemistry that brought you each together.