Depression Counseling in Boise, ID
Alex used to get excited about going out with friends, playing in his weekly basketball league, and working toward a bachelor’s degree. But over the past few months, he hasn’t felt like doing any of it. The only thing he wants to do is lay in his dark bedroom, under the covers, phone turned to silent mode. His family and friends don’t know what happened to the “old Alex.” Alex doesn’t know either.
Alex has depression, a common but severe mental disorder.
No one asks for depression. Alex didn’t ask for it. The good news is that depression symptoms like those Alex suffer from are treatable, and many people who receive therapy go on to lead happy, positive, and successful lives. If you are struggling with depression, a significant first step is to recognize you need help and seek counseling and treatment.
Thriveworks Counseling in Boise is standing by with a team ready to provide you with support, care, and a plan to get you where you want to be in life. Our depression counselors and therapists have the training and education to help you work through your difficulties, offer you much-needed support, and can help keep you accountable.
If you think that you or a loved one might be a good fit for working with a trusted mental health professional, don’t wait any longer to get the help you need. Visit our online booking page or give our office a call to get started.
What Is Depression? What Are the Signs?
Feeling sad or upset is normal. We can experience sad feelings during significant life events such as a divorce, a major life change, trauma, or even genetics. Yes, depression can run in the family. When these feelings become severe and last for many days or weeks, depression might be the cause. Not everyone will have the same symptoms, and not everyone will experience the same duration.
Some signs of depression include:
- Changes in appetite or weight
- Persistent feelings of sadness
- Feeling angry or easily annoyed
- Loss of interest in activities or hobbies you usually enjoyed
- Decreased energy or easily fatigued
There is hope for those with depression. While it is important to recognize the signs and symptoms of this mental illness, it is just as important to talk to professionals at Thriveworks Counseling in Boise who can effectively evaluate, diagnose, and treat anxiety and depression. If you’ve been experiencing some or all of the symptoms in the list above for at least two weeks, prioritize your wellbeing and seek the help you deserve.
Coping with Depression
In addition to therapy, it’s also essential to be equipped with coping tools and skills to help you deal with the day-to-day. Here are a few coping strategies you can implement right now:
- Challenge negative thoughts: Depression acts like a black cloud that paints everything in a negative light. You can counter this by changing how you think. It might be difficult at first, but practice using logical thinking to challenge your negative thoughts. Ask yourself if there’s any evidence for feeling terrible about yourself.
- Maintain a healthy diet: We all know that getting proper nutrition helps fuel our bodies and aids physical performance. Also know healthy eating has positive effects on our mind and our mood. Don’t skip meals, eat plenty of fruits and vegetables, and limit sugar, carbs, caffeine, and alcohol.
- Boost your self-esteem: When you feel depressed, you may also de-value yourself. Turn your focus toward self-care. You can start a gratitude journal and write down all things that make you grateful.
Your Thriveworks depression counselor will take a holistic approach to your care and evaluate all aspects of your life when creating your treatment plan. We believe in compassion and client-focused care and are ready to help you get started.
Meet with a Therapist at Thriveworks Counseling in Boise
An experienced team of professionals at Thriveworks Counseling in Boise is ready to help you regain what depression took away from you. You can usually receive an appointment within 24 hours. We offer flexibility with our appointment times as well as convenient options such as telephone or online counseling.
If you are experiencing any of the depression symptoms discussed, please call our Thriveworks Counseling office in Boise to schedule an appointment.