Autism Therapy in TherapyLand—Child Therapy for Autism Spectrum Disorders
We hear a lot in the news about autism, and autism spectrum disorders. We may feel like we have a good understanding of what this disorder involves until one of our own children is facing this diagnosis. When symptoms or signs of this type of disorder start to arise, you can easily become overwhelmed and fearful about the future. Many of the symptoms and signs can be easily confused with disobedience or childishness. It can be difficult for a caregiver to discern typical childlike behavior from a true diagnosable disorder.
Don’t think that there’s a different, better child ‘hiding’ behind the autism. This is your child. Love the child in front of you. Encourage his strengths, celebrate his quirks, and improve his weaknesses, the way you would with any child. —Claire Scovell LaZebnik
At Thriveworks, our trained experts can diagnose, treat, and partner with you and your child in facing autism or an autism spectrum disorder (ASD). We understand how hard it can be to face this unknown road alone. However, with the help of autism therapy in TherapyLand, both you and your child can live happier lives.
What Is Autism Spectrum Disorder?
Autism spectrum disorder, or ASD, is a developmental disability that can cause someone to have communication, social, and behavioral challenges. You can’t tell just from looking at a child that they have ASD, but certain behaviors and interactions are what sets them apart. The symptoms that characterize autism spectrum disorder may include:
- Trouble understanding other people’s feelings or talking about their feelings
- Prefer not to be held or cuddled
- Appear to not be listening when others speak to them
- Avoid eye contact and prefer to be alone
- Don’t show interest in things like flying planes, an owl hooting, or the sound of the ice cream truck
- Have trouble relating to others
- Repeat or echo words or phrases said to them in place of normal language
- Have trouble adapting to routine changes
- Have unusual reactions to the way things taste, smell, look, feel, or sound
Occasionally, children with an autism spectrum disorder exhibit high abilities in music, math, or memory. In recent years, several different disorders, such as Asperger’s syndrome, autistic disorder, childhood disintegrative disorder, and pervasive developmental disorder-not otherwise specified (PDD-NOS), were all classified under the same diagnosis, known as autism spectrum disorder. Thriveworks child therapists can walk with you on this journey of learning and understanding. Your child can thrive in his or her own way, no matter their diagnosis.
Autism Therapy: How Can Child Therapy Help with ASD?
Although there is no “cure” for autism, there are ways that your child can learn to cope and work through their challenges to live a happy and full life. Early recognition and treatment may reduce the symptoms of these conditions as well as assist in their development and learning. When you choose to work with a licensed child therapist at Thriveworks, you can expect them to use a variety of methods to provide the best possible care to your child. Some methods may include:
- Speech therapy – help teach them how to better articulate what they are feeling into words.
- Play therapy – as we know some kids have a harder time expressing their emotions and thoughts through words, play therapy can be a great tool for them. It gives them the ability to show how they are feeling through toys, songs, dance, and more.
- Art therapy – similarly to play therapy, art therapy gives kids the creative outlet they need to express themselves.
- Floortime – it may be hard to get a child with ASD to listen to an adult. Because of this, your child’s therapist will get on the floor beside them to catch their interest and meet them on their level.
There are many different ways to connect with a child with ASD and their therapist can figure out what ways work best for each individual. We understand that every child is different. That’s why our child therapists at Thriveworks create individualized plans for treatment.
Schedule an Autism Therapy Appointment for Your Child in TherapyLand
When it comes to your child, you want to know you have made the best choice. Thriveworks providers are leaders in their field, ready to put their expertise to work for your child and your family. Unlike most therapy and counseling offices, we do not operate with a waiting list. In most cases, we have appointments available for new clients within 24 hours.
If you have been struggling with your child for a long time and are unsure where to turn or how to get help, do not delay any longer. Early intervention is key in helping a child develop to the best of their ability. We are here, ready to help. Call Thriveworks today.