Child therapy or counseling are evidence-based approaches designed to help children and teens process their issues. It can help children living with mental illness, coping with traumatic events, or facing difficulties in school or at home. Child therapists and counselors have the skills and knowledge to help your son or daughter deal with their problems and learn good mental health habits.
Working with a mental health professional can help your son or daughter get back on a healthy path. If you think therapy or counseling could benefit your child, call our office today at Thriveworks Counseling in Maitland, FL. One of our team members will answer any questions you have and get you started with your first appointment.
Should My Child See a Therapist?
Mental health services for children are designed specifically to help children cope with mental health challenges and other issues they face in life. There are many situations where therapy or counseling can help, including:
- Behavioral issues
- Anxiety or depression
- Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder
- Parental divorce
- Substance abuse or addiction
- Autism testing and diagnosis
- Trauma and abuse
- Starting at a new school
- Moving to a new city
Your child might be dealing with something else entirely, or you’ve only noticed a change in behavior without understanding the underlying issue –– that’s ok. Our mental health professionals are experts in working with children, uncovering the problems they’re facing, and developing competent treatment plans to help your child move past what’s bothering them.
These are just a few of the issues where a professional can help. Our specialists have a wide range of skills and knowledge, allowing them to help children overcome their problems.
Child Therapy: What Should I Expect?
We understand that children and their families have unique needs, so care is individualized to each child and each situation. For example, helping a teenager dealing with self-esteem issues is very different from supporting a second grader who just changed schools. Your child’s mental health professional will create a treatment plan with their specific situation in mind.
There are many therapeutic techniques that a mental health expert can use to help your child cope with whatever they’re facing, including:
- Family therapy: Generally, family therapy helps families understand their internal dynamics and examine how everyone interacts. Sometimes, working with the entire family can help a child overcome an issue in their life. For example, family therapy can help the parents of a child with attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) understand healthy and unhealthy ways of responding to problem behaviors.
- Play therapy: Young children often have trouble expressing how they feel. Play therapy allows a therapist or counselor to build a relationship with a child and understand the emotions they’re experiencing.
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT): CBT is a therapeutic method used to treat various mental health issues and disorders. It focuses on helping people identify and change unhealthy thought patterns. Changing these patterns of thought can help individuals gain insight into their lives and see themselves more accurately.
Mental health professionals from Thriveworks Counseling in Maitland, FL, can help your child deal with the issues in their life and learn good mental health habits. Call our office today to schedule your first appointment.
Schedule a Child Therapy Appointment at Thriveworks in Maitland, FL
Would your child benefit from working with a therapist or counselor? Consider calling our office today at Thriveworks Counseling in Maitland, FL.
Raising children can be hectic, and we know that finding time to visit a counseling center can be difficult. That’s why we offer night and weekend appointment options so your child can work with a professional after school or during free time on the weekend. We also provide online appointment options so your child can attend therapy or counseling without leaving your home.
We want you to be able to schedule an appointment quickly if your child is dealing with something difficult in their life. All of our flexible scheduling options meant that you can start soon –– sometimes within just 24-48 hours after a call.
Our compassionate mental health professionals can help your child learn, grow, and thrive. Call our office at Thriveworks Counseling in Maitland, FL, today to get started.
Child Therapy — TherapyLand™
Our Maitland, FL office is a TherapyLand location: A positive, empowering place for kids to get the mental health care they deserve. Equipped with sandboxes, dollhouses, easels, puppets, blocks, basketball hoops, and other tools, our play therapy rooms are designed to help kids explore and express their emotions. Learn more about TherapyLand and how it could help your child.