Does planning a family gathering fill you with fear? Is every night a shouting match at your house? Did conflict derail your last family vacation that you worked so hard to plan? If your family is facing challenges and could use some support, know that support is available. Working with a family therapist or counselor can help your family through a wide variety of conflicts and problems.
Family therapy helps families interact with each other in a happier and healthier way. Beyond solving problems, your sessions can help your family develop conflict resolution skills and healthy communication habits. Your family will work with a mental health professional in group and one-on-one sessions to make sure everyone’s needs are understood and addressed. This is often a short-term type of therapy but can be long-term if needed.
When family issues become too big to solve on your own, it’s okay to ask for help. Even the closest families can benefit from working with a counselor or therapist. If you think you’d benefit from family therapy services, call Thriveworks Counseling in Solana Beach, CA. Our experienced mental health professionals can help your family solve problems, open lines of communication, and move forward together.
Is Family Therapy Right for My Family?
Family therapists and counselors are mental health professionals who specialize in working with families of all shapes and sizes. Many different issues drive families to seek help but some of the most common are:
- Conflict resolution issues
- Substance abuse or addiction
- Differing parenting styles
- Mental illness
- Major stress
- Behavioral problems
- Grief or loss
- Setting healthy boundaries
Fortunately, no matter what issue your family faces, a family therapist or counselor can guide healthy conversations and facilitate change. Many families make significant progress toward their specific issues within the course of a few sessions.
What To Expect From Family Therapy
Some issues can strain relationships and leave family members burned out and unhappy. Thankfully, help is available. Family therapy can help improve troubled relationship dynamics between partners, children, or any other family members.
Family therapists utilize a variety of therapeutic techniques depending on what a family faces. Here are some of the most common types of family counseling:
- Family systems therapy: This is a type of psychotherapy that helps individuals solve problems within the family unit. Every member of a family works together to understand what drives their group dynamic and how individual actions impact the family as a whole. The driving idea behind family systems therapy is that something impacting a member of the family also impacts the entire family.
- Supportive family therapy: This type of therapy is used to help family members express how they feel about a problem that impacts everyone in the family. Your counselor or therapist will create an environment that allows everyone to come together and discuss issues that impact the family unit.
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT): CBT focuses on changing how people think or behave in order to address a problem. Your provider will work with your family members to help reframe how people think about themselves and each other. This type of therapy often involves “homework” –– tasks that your provider will ask you to complete in between sessions in order to help pinpoint and change unhealthy thought patterns.
No matter what type of therapy is used, your provider will get to know your family individually and as a group before developing a treatment plan for your specific needs. Here at Thriveworks Counseling in Solana Beach, CA, we understand that every family is unique –– shouldn’t therapy be the same? Our providers specialize in individualized care that helps your family find a way forward.
Family Therapists Available at Thriveworks in Solana Beach, CA
If your family dynamic isn’t where you want it to be, we want you to know that support is available. Consider working with a counselor or therapist from Thriveworks Counseling in Solana Beach, CA to help your family solve problems and grow together.
Many families have busy schedules between work, school, and extracurricular activities. We offer convenient online counseling options that let you see a provider over the phone or on a video call. This is a great option for families that are busy or have members living in different cities. We offer extended weekend and evening hours, and a flexible cancellation policy in case something comes up –– just cancel within 23.5 hours of your scheduled appointment. We also accept many major insurance plans.
We want to provide a safe environment for your family to solve problems and help each other grow. Contact our office today if you’d like to set up an appointment with a family therapist or counselor at Thriveworks in Solana Beach, CA. Our scheduling team is ready to provide you with excellent customer service and answer any questions you might have.