The actress Taraji P. Henson once stated, “Every human walks around with a certain kind of sadness. They may not wear it on their sleeves, but it’s there if you look deep.” Sadness is a normal human response to pain and suffering in the world. But sometimes sadness morphs into depression, and that often requires professional intervention. Why? Because depression can be a long-term disability that affects your relationships, your work, your self-esteem, and your overall health. Plus, it’s pretty miserable. Depression can darken sunny days and rob you of moments that should be joyful. The good news is that the mental health condition is highly treatable.
The licensed mental health counselors at Thriveworks in Rio Rancho, NM can help people who are struggling with depression and other mood disorders. Depression counselors have the expertise and experience to treat the whole person, not just the depression diagnosis. Every treatment plan is personalized to take the client’s goals and preferences into account. Thriveworks therapists can help clients find ways to manage and master negative thoughts when they start to control their lives.
What Are the Symptoms of Depression?
It’s not unusual for someone who is experiencing the symptoms of depression to visit their primary care doctor first. They may be looking for a physical explanation for sleeplessness or mysterious aches and pains. A licensed psychologist or psychiatrist at Thriveworks in Rio Rancho, NM has more specialized training to diagnose depression accurately. They may start with the basic depression criteria listed in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM):
- A depressed mood lasting longer than two weeks
- Anhedonia (loss of interest or pleasure in activities you usually enjoy)
- Appetite changes, often leading to unintentional weight loss or gain
- Psychomotor retardation (slowed-down movements and thoughts)
- Fatigue and/or exhaustion
- Overwhelming feelings of guilt or worthlessness
- Problems with attention or memory
- Suicidality (If you’re ever considering harming yourself, call a crisis hotline immediately.)
Specialized mental health providers may also look for additional symptoms to identify people with depression. For example, depressed men often exhibit externalizing behaviors like bouts of anger or irritability. Many people with depression use substance abuse as a maladaptive coping strategy. People may also show changes in their sleeping habits and sex drives.
Anxiety and depression often occur together for various reasons. For example, someone may isolate themselves due to feelings of depression, then start to become anxious around people. Depression symptoms can also overlap with physical conditions like thyroid disorders. Expert evaluation can help rule out other health conditions and put you on the most effective treatment plan.
How Do Counselors Treat Depression?
Depressive episodes can vary in intensity and length, so treatment plans also vary widely. The depression counselors at Thriveworks in Rio Rancho, NM have a range of therapy options at their disposal, including the following:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), which aims to modify maladaptive thought patterns and beliefs to enhance psychological and behavioral health
- Dialectical behavior therapy, which is a type of CBT that helps regulate emotions
- Supportive therapy, which enables a person to use their own resources to improve general functioning
- Psychodynamic therapy, which uses self-reflection and self-examination to bring awareness to the origins of distress
- Holistic remedies like meditation, progressive muscle relaxation, and mindfulness
- Lifestyle changes that might involve exercise and nutrition
- Family therapy or couples therapy, which includes loved ones in depression recovery
- Behavioral activation, which focuses on a person’s behavior and environment
- Prescription pharmaceuticals like antidepressant medications, which can be used in the short-term or long-term to support recovery
Thriveworks in Rio Rancho, NM has psychiatrists on staff who can prescribe and manage medications through comprehensive online counseling appointments.
What Are the Types of Depression?
Depression comes in many different forms, including the following:
- Major depression
- Mild depression
- Manic depression (bipolar depression)
- Postpartum depression or postnatal depression (PPD)
- Persistent depressive disorder or dysthymia
- Seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Mixed depression with anxiety disorder
- Situational depression
- Psychotic depression
- Premenstrual dysphoric disorder
Get Premium Depression Treatment at Thriveworks in Rio Rancho, NM
If depression is affecting your life for the worse, Thriveworks can help. The depression counselors at Thriveworks in Rio Rancho, NM have the compassion and expertise to help clients face and overcome their challenges. Thriveworks therapists can meet clients wherever it’s most comfortable for them, whether that be in-person at the modern office, or virtually with online counseling.
The fully licensed mental health providers at Thriveworks accept most major health insurance plans, making it easier to afford therapy when you need it. Thriveworks therapists can also be accessed by phone and email between sessions. All of the providers at Thriveworks are top-rated in their respective fields.
If you’re looking for exceptional therapy from a caring mental health team, you can turn to Thriveworks. Call today and be seen as early as tomorrow. We look forward to hearing from you.