The writer Anais Nin once stated, “Compassion for our parents is the true sign of maturity.” This quote can apply to all relationships in a family. When people learn to see clearly not only from their own perspective, but from the perspectives of other family members as well, real growth can happen in a household.
One of the goals of family therapy at Thriveworks in Rio Rancho, NM is to facilitate this process of mutual seeing and understanding. For example, a family therapist might ask for everyone’s perspective on an issue, trying to comprehend the feelings of each party. Then the therapist can help clarify those feelings for all family members. The therapist can bring his or her insights to the table about what people need to feel heard and supported. It’s a beautiful process that can help build compassion within the entire family.
What Are the Indications for Family Therapy?
Therapy sessions can benefit any family, not just those in crisis. That being said, it sometimes takes an acute issue for families to reach out to a licensed marriage and family therapist (LMFT). Sometimes there’s a death in the family that has everyone reeling. Other times one family member’s substance abuse issues are affecting everyone. Plenty of other problems within a family system can bring clients to Thriveworks in Rio Rancho, NM, including the following:
- Postpartum depression
- Eating disorders
- Financial stress
- Marital stress
- Juvenile delinquency or crime
- Emotional or verbal abuse
- Special needs children
- Caregiver burnout
- Behavioral problems (acting out)
Other families come to marriage and family therapy as a way to maintain open and trusting lines of communication between family members. Mental health professionals like LMFTs can help enhance family relationships by teaching skills like active listening.
Is Family Therapy Effective?
Family therapy at Thriveworks in Rio Rancho, NM is highly effective and solution-focused, with most families needing fewer than 12 sessions to find practical resolution for their issues. A therapist’s role isn’t to assign blame or tell someone what they’re doing wrong as a parent or a spouse. Their role is to improve communication and mutual understanding between all parties.
What Should I Expect from Family Therapy?
In family therapy, different people may arrive with different goals in mind. An LMFT at Thriveworks in Rio Rancho, NM will probably ask every family member what their objectives are for the therapy sessions. Possible goals include the following:
- Reconciliation and healing
- Increasing rapport
- Reduction in household conflict and tension
- Forgiving, or asking for forgiveness
- Establishing healthy boundaries between family members
- Managing anger
- Reducing codependency
- Building trust in each other
- Exploring misunderstandings
- Finding individual support
How to Choose a Family Therapist
When choosing a family therapist, certain basic criteria should be considered first. For example:
- Is the provider affordable? Because all the therapists, counselors, and clinical social workers at Thriveworks are fully licensed, they accept most major forms of health insurance coverage. If your insurance doesn’t cover therapy, Thriveworks offers affordable self-pay rates.
- Will the provider’s sessions be convenient and comfortable for all? Thriveworks providers in Rio Rancho, NM offer counseling sessions both in-person and online. This makes it easier to accommodate the schedules of multiple family members. Online counseling sessions can take place on evenings and weekends, and everyone doesn’t have to arrange to be in the same place at the same time.
- Is the provider fully licensed? Complex and sensitive family issues require someone with expertise, authority, and experience. Thriveworks only recruits from the top 4% of mental health providers. And all these top-rated providers are fully licensed.
- Is the provider experienced in your family’s particular issue? For example, if you’re dealing with conflicts related to LGBTQ parenting, interracial families, religious families, or families with special needs children, it can sometimes help to talk to a therapist who’s somewhat familiar with your experiences. You can read about what kind of experience someone has in the provider bios on the Thriveworks Rio Rancho, NM website.
Find Family Therapy Support at Thriveworks in Rio Rancho, NM
Every family–no matter how strong and loving–can get overwhelmed sometimes. Asking for professional guidance from an LMFT is a sign that your family is a priority to you.
When you’re ready to try family therapy, you can call the Thriveworks office in Rio Rancho, NM and reach a human being, not a voicemail, who can help match you to an exceptional therapist. You can also book an appointment online. Most clients meet with their therapist within 24-48 hours of their initial booking. That means you and your family members could be talking to a counselor as early as tomorrow. As an added enrollment benefit, Thriveworks clients can access their provider by phone or email between sessions.
Don’t let your family’s problems fester. Work through them with a professional in a safe place with open dialogue. The benefits may endure throughout the generations. We look forward to hearing from you!