Child Therapy in Pueblo, CO—Therapists, Counselors, and Psychologists for Kids
As a parent, the last thing you ever want for your child is for them to be hurting or going through something you can’t control. Things like moving to a new city, adjusting to a divorce, or grieving the loss of a loved one are hard enough for adults, let alone for the young minds of children. Consider these following scenarios to see if your child may be acting similarly:
- Your child pushes around their dinner most nights and rarely eats. They look down but haven’t mentioned if anything is wrong.
- Out of nowhere, you have started getting calls from your kid’s school telling you that they are acting out and disrupting the classrooms.
- Some days are worse than others, but you are noticing that your child often comes home upset from school and when you ask their teachers about it, they don’t have any advice to offer up.
- You notice that your child is falling behind in their reading and writing, and they become diagnosed with a learning disability. This causes your child to resent you for “putting them” in special education courses and feel embarrassed
Maybe you know exactly why your child is struggling mentally. Maybe you have no idea what is going on but just know that they are not their usual selves. No matter the situation, you are making the right choice to give your child the extra support and guidance from a child therapist. At Thriveworks Pueblo, our child therapists have the licensure, training, and skills to meet your child where they are mentally and help them work through their feelings and emotions thanks to a myriad of methods. If you feel like your teen or little one could benefit from working with a professional, reach out today. We have psychologists available and ready to help.
Why Pursue Child Therapy at Thriveworks Pueblo Counseling?
As we briefly mentioned earlier, there are countless reasons why your child might be going through a difficult time in their lives. As children, they are going through a period in their lives where processing emotions can be hard and the changes they face may be even harder. Here are some common reasons why we see children seek outside help:
- Abuse or neglect
- Addictions or substance abuse
- Life changes such as moving to a new city or starting at a new school
- Loss of a loved one
- ADHD or ADD concerns
- Violent or criminal behavior
- Eating disorders
- Learning disabilities
- Disruptive behavior or poor performance in school
- Emotional or psychological problems
- Bullying in-person and/or online
The above list includes just some of the ways in which we help your child. Even if you can tell that something is wrong but don’t know exactly what, a therapist can help you identify those root issues. Realizing that your child needs help coping with their emotions or establishing a new way of communicating, is a big step in the healing process.
Types of Child Therapy
If children feel safe, they can take risks, ask questions, make mistakes, learn to trust, share their feelings, and grow.” – Alfie Kohn
Communicating with children, whether they are toddlers or teenagers, can be extremely difficult sometimes. It may even feel like you are talking to a brick wall. A trained counselor or therapist can use their learned methods and techniques to connect with children on different levels that they not only can understand, but feel safe opening up to. One method may work better over another so you can expect your child’s counselor to try several different methods or use a combination of a few in order to dig deeper. Some different methods of child therapy may include:
- Traditional talk therapy
- Play therapy
- Art therapy
- Cognitive and behavioral therapy
- Narrative therapy
- Family therapy
- Teaching coping mechanisms
- Psychological testing
- Identifying and treating underlying medical issues or psychological issues
- Teaching relaxation techniques
- Teaching communication skills
No two children are alike, and no two situations are the same. At Thriveworks Pueblo, we understand that and dedicate ourselves to creating unique plans of care for you and your child or teen. In addition to teaching your child coping skills, we will be able to provide you and their other caregivers ways to better understand and communicate with them moving forward. Just reach out. We can get you started as soon as possible.
Schedule a Session with a Child Therapist at Thriveworks Pueblo, CO
Children are already going through a lot of emotional and physical changes. Let us help take some pressure off of their shoulders during these changes. If you think your child would greatly benefit from speaking to a professional, consider working with us here at Thriveworks Pueblo Counseling.
We do not operate on a waiting list and can often get our clients in with a counselor within 24 hours of their initial call. We also have flexible scheduling options and have appointment times during the days, evenings, and weekends. Also, online counseling is available as we understand how hard it can be to make across town for an appointment with already busy schedules. Whatever option you choose, know that you will be receiving compassionate, comprehensive care. It would be our honor to walk with your child on their journey to healing and progress.