“Do I have Depression?”
It’s normal to feel sad or even mildly depressed at times, particularly if it is in reaction to a difficult life situation, such as difficulties with a relationship, a significant loss, a life transition, or a professional or academic disappointment. However, when symptoms of intense sadness persist and begin to affect your ability to function at work, in school, or in other important areas of functioning, you could have clinical depression.
“What is Depression?”
According to the DSM-5, a manual used by Physicians and Mental Health Professionals to diagnose mental health disorders, you are experiencing a Depressive Episode and qualify for a diagnosis of Depression if you experience five (5) or more of the following symptoms for at least a two (2) week period:
- Depressed mood most of the day, nearly every day. For example, feeling sad, empty, or hopeless, or others observing that you appear tearful. Adolescents may exhibit an irritable mood.
- Reduced interest or pleasure in most activities, most of the day, on an ongoing basis
- Decrease or increase in appetite, or weight loss or weight gain of at least 5% of body weight in a month, when not dieting or trying to lose or gain weight
- Difficulty falling asleep, staying asleep, restless sleep, or sleeping too much without feeling refreshed
- Psychomotor agitation or retardation, meaning a slowing down of cognitive functioning or speech, leading to difficulty carrying out normal daily tasks
- Fatigue or reduced energy nearly every day
- Feelings of worthlessness or excessive or inappropriate guilt
- Diminished ability to think or concentrate, or indecisiveness
- Recurrent thoughts of death, recurrent suicidal ideation without a specific plan, or a suicide attempt or a specific plan for committing suicide
“How do I get help?”
If you, or someone you love, is experiencing any of these symptoms Thriveworks Counseling and Life Coaching can help. At Thriveworks, qualified Licensed Therapists, Counselors, Psychologists, and Life Coaches with extensive training and experience are skilled in both diagnosing and treating individuals experiencing Depression and depressive symptoms.
First and foremost, Thriveworks clinicians truly care and take the time necessary to get to know and understand their clients. Thriveworks counselors are non-judgmental, non-critical, highly empathic, and very understanding. Once a problem has been determined, together the counselor will work with you to determine what is going on, what your goals are, and create a treatment plan together.
“What are the treatments?”
Commonly, treatment for Depression may include Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, or CBT for short, which is a type of talk therapy that can help you to understand the connection between your thoughts, feeling, physical sensations, and behaviors. CBT is all about recognizing that sometimes what we do in order to help ourselves feel better, can also be a part of what is keeping us stuck. CBT teaches you how to make changes in the way that you think and in your actions and behaviors, in order to improve the way that you feel. It is a collaborative approach and requires your active participation in order to be successful.
Treatment may also include exploring whether any past hurts, trauma, or un-met childhood needs may be affecting you and contributing to Depression. Through a trusting relationship with a highly skilled and experienced Thriveworks counselor, it may be possible for you to achieve a full recovery from Depression. You do not have to suffer alone or in silence. Thriveworks is here and we truly do care.
“How do I get a counseling appointment?”
We also know how difficult it can be to get an appointment with a qualified therapist who accepts your health insurance. At Thriveworks, we accept most major insurance plans and typically offer appointments within 24 hours of your initial call.
We are conveniently located in Delaware County, Pennsylvania, at 600 N Jackson St, Suite 300, Media, PA, 19063, and are accessible by public transportation via SEPTA Regional Rail, Trolley, and bus. We also offer ample free parking.