When you have a big presentation, test, or occasion looming on the horizon, you might feel nervous or stressed, even if it’s nerves of excitement or anticipation. Anxiety is your body’s natural response to stress, and it’s how your brain and body prepare for the near future.
It’s normal, even healthy, to feel stressed or anxious about some things in life. But for people with an anxiety disorder, their stress response might be too intense, or those feelings just don’t go away. Anxiety disorders can create a constant barrage of stress, fear, or worry that are unexplained or way out of proportion for the situation someone is facing.
Anxiety is an extremely common mental health issue but is not a condition that should be ignored or swept under the rug. Severe anxiety can change the way you think and feel and can have a serious impact on your life.
Fortunately, even the most severe anxiety disorders can be managed and overcome with the help of a therapist or counselor. Therapy for anxiety at Thriveworks in Loveland, CO, can help you understand your condition and give you the tools to cope with your anxiety.
Recognizing Common Causes and Types of Anxiety
Anxiety can come in many forms with a wide range of physiological and psychological symptoms. While the exact cause of anxiety is not fully understood, it is likely influenced by a complex interaction of biological and environmental factors.
Genetics, past experiences, and hormonal changes might all contribute to anxiety. While anxiety affects everyone differently, some forms of anxiety present themselves in a similar way that makes them more easily identifiable.
Some common forms of anxiety include:
- Social anxiety disorder: This involves feelings of embarrassment, self-consciousness, and a fear of being judged by others. This can also lead to high levels of anxiety and avoidance of social situations.
- Separation anxiety disorder: This is most common in children and relates to excessive fear of being separated from parents or other loved ones, places, or objects.
- Phobia disorders: These are characterized by extreme fear, anxiety, or panic when presented with a certain object or situation. Phobias range from annoying to severe and can have a major impact on someone’s life.
- Panic disorder: People with a panic disorder experience panic attacks, which are frequent episodes of extreme anxiety, fear, terror, or a sense of impending doom. Hyperventilation, heart palpitations, and dizziness are also common. Panic attacks can be intense, so people with panic disorder might spend a lot of time and effort trying to avoid them.
- Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD): GAD may appear on its own, but it often accompanies other anxiety disorders and is marked by excessive or persistent worry about ordinary activities or events.
Because anxiety manifests very differently from one person to the next, there is no textbook set of symptoms to consider. This makes recognizing and diagnosing anxiety difficult to do without the help of a mental health professional.
A therapist or counselor at Thriveworks in Loveland, CO, can help you determine what form of anxiety you may be experiencing and guide you through understanding, coping with, and managing your symptoms.
What Can I Expect From Anxiety Therapy?
Treating anxiety is a highly personalized and often multifaceted experience. Once your therapist can determine the type or cause of your anxiety, they will create a unique treatment plan built around your specific concerns, issues, and experiences. Your treatment plan will likely include a combination of therapies, prescription medication, or a mix of multiple treatment modalities.
Anxiety counseling often includes one or more types of talk therapy. Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) is a common form of talk therapy used to treat anxiety disorders and it teaches you how to reduce anxiety, cope with anxiety symptoms, and manage your condition. Interpersonal therapy and exposure therapy can also be particularly helpful in helping you accept and overcome specific sources of anxiety or fear.
When you are ready to regain control of your mental health and overcome your anxiety, Thriveworks in Loveland, CO, is prepared to help. We can often accommodate new clients within 24 to 48 hours and accept many different insurance plans.
Appointments Available for Anxiety Therapy at Thriveworks in Loveland, CO
Anxiety disorders can be frustrating and overwhelming. We want you to know that you can regain control of your thoughts, feelings, and your life by working with a mental health professional from Thriveworks Counseling in Loveland, CO.
Thriveworks offers many benefits that make it easier to get help treating your anxiety, including the following:
- Weekend and evening appointments
- Online counseling opportunities
- Email and phone access to providers between therapy sessions
- Exclusive online video content
- 24-hour ask-a-coach Q&A
- Flexible cancellation policy
You can book your first appointment online, or by calling the scheduling team at Thriveworks in Loveland, CO, today. We can help you overcome your anxiety and get the most out of each day with less stress or worry about tomorrow.