One of the best ways to deal with anxiety is to learn about your own anxiety: your symptoms, what triggers it, and what coping mechanisms have been effective in the past. When you learn what your anxiety is tied to, it can help you be mindful of what's really happening as well as prevent and mitigate symptoms by processing and working through the issue in therapy. Other strategies that have been shown to help manage anxiety are meditation, challenging anxious thoughts, exercising, and journaling.
Mark finds himself overthinking quite a bit. In fact, he considers overthinking to be one of the biggest drains on his time and energy; but for some reason, he just can’t stop doing it. He’s able to function normally, but it’s a challenge staying on course as he moves through the day. Mark’s anxiety reached a new level, though, when last week he completely skipped a big work meeting to avoid having to speak in front of his sales team.
Mark likes to think that his anxiety is something he can withstand by himself, but his partner Julie is concerned. She’s watched the ways in which Mark’s anxieties have eaten at him over time, and after hearing about him skipping his work meeting, she thinks that it might be time for Mark to talk to a mental health professional, if even just to get some perspective on the situation. While he’s uncertain about how it will go, Mark is open to the possible benefits of talking to a counselor or psychiatrist about his anxiety.
If you can relate to Mark, maybe you’re debating what to do about the recurring anxiety that you’re dealing with. At Thriveworks in Irvine, CA, our mental health professionals know how to treat anxiety. If you’re ready to share your experience and get support as well as assistance in managing your anxiety, call Thriveworks in Irvine, CA today.
Do I Have Anxiety? What Are the Symptoms?
Everyone has anxiety every now and then. But persistent anxiety becomes a powerfully disruptive force in someone’s life. While anxiety can manifest differently for everyone, some common indications that someone has anxiety include:
- Racing thoughts,
- Inability to focus on daily tasks
- Constant fatigue
- Overwhelming stress
- Desire to avoid social encounters
- Reliving traumatic experiences in dreams or flashbacks
It’s important to share your specific symptoms and experiences with your anxiety therapist, so they can understand your perspective and offer personalized treatment options.
How Can Thriveworks in Irvine, CA Help Me with My Anxiety?
Your anxiety treatment will be based on the severity and nature of your anxiety. At Thriveworks in Irvine, CA, our counselors and therapists can treat anxiety by:
- Teaching clients coping mechanisms to use in real-life, anxiety-inducing situations
- Using talk therapy or behavioral therapy to promote self-awareness
- Correcting negative distortions that produce unhelpful thoughts
In comparison, psychiatrists differ in that they…
- Are medical doctors who specialize in mental health
- Can prescribe medication that helps clients manage the disruptive symptoms of anxiety
- Can provide therapy in addition to prescription medication
Types of Anxiety Disorders
It’s also important to keep in mind that there are different types of anxiety. Some of the most common that our providers help people with include:
- Social anxiety disorder: Social anxiety induces distress while engaging with other people. Everything from grocery runs to birthday parties can be cumbersome, fear-filled events.
- Panic disorder: Panic disorder can cause panic attacks. These physical episodes might result in dizziness, chest pain, vertigo, and nausea.
- Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD): GAD causes anxiety in different scenarios, whether real or imagined. This disorder can be difficult to identify because it isn’t triggered by any single source of anxiety.
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD): This disorder often induces irrational thought loops, or impulses to perform random physical actions in repetition.
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD): PTSD, can occur in anyone that has been through a psychologically or physically painful event. Those who suffer from it are often privy to flashbacks to traumatic events, nightmares, and antisocial behavior.
Schedule an Anxiety Counseling Appointment at Thriveworks in Irvine, CA
It can be difficult to manage the challenges that come with anxiety, but with the help of a mental health professional, it’s possible to find solid ground again. If you’re interested in partnering with someone from our team at Thriveworks in Irvine, CA, we’re happy to help you get started. Our scheduling specialists are here to help you seven days a week. Plus, choosing to enroll with Thriveworks opens the door to a host of great benefits, such as:
- Online therapy options in addition to in-person
- Evening and weekend scheduling availability
- Email access to your provider outside of sessions as needed
- The digital edition of “Leaving Depression Behind” and other electronic mental health resources
- Our Therapy Buddy app—a great way to measure your progress as you advance through therapy or psychiatric care
Anxiety doesn’t need to control your life and the decisions you make. Getting professional assistance and support can offer relief from your anxiety. When you’re ready to team up with a mental health professional at Thriveworks, call our office in Irvine, CA. Our counselors, therapists, and psychiatrists are ready to help.