The psychologist William Moulton Marston once stated, “Realize what you really want. It stops you from chasing butterflies and puts you to work digging gold.” As complicated humans, sometimes it’s difficult to figure out what we really want. For example, it might seem as if we want to be millionaires, but what we really want is to feel important. Or we might think that we want to retreat from our friends, but what we really want is to stop having social anxiety. But it’s hard to figure out these nuances unless you spend time thinking and talking about them. That’s where psychologists can help.
The licensed psychologists at Thriveworks in Hoffman Estates, IL have the qualifications, compassion, and expertise to guide clients down autobiographical roads they’ve been hesitant to explore in the past. These mental health providers can dive deeply with you into emotions, behaviors, and thoughts that shape your daily functioning. And they can help you identify what’s working for you and what might need a little adjusting.
Types of Mental Health Professionals
Before you call Thriveworks in Hoffman Estates, IL, it might be helpful to familiarize yourself with our different types of licensed mental health professionals.
- Psychologists can be clinical psychologists or counseling psychologists. They usually have doctorate degrees like PhDs or PhDs and they’re trained in a variety of evidence-based psychotherapies (talk therapies). Psychologists might work with people struggling with mental health conditions, or people who just need an insightful listener.
- Psychiatrists (MDs) are medical doctors who diagnose, treat, and help prevent mental health conditions like depression, bipolar disorder, and anxiety. They can prescribe medication in addition to doing psychotherapy.
- Psychiatric mental health nurse practitioners (PMHNPs) are registered nurses (RNs) who can treat psychiatric conditions. They can also prescribe medication.
- Licensed professional counselors (LPCs) are mental health counselors who help clients find solutions to their problems.
- Licensed clinical social workers (LCSWs) provide therapy/counseling services and social services support .
- Licensed marriage and family therapists (LMFTs) provide relationship support for couples and families.
If you’re still not sure what kind of Thriveworks mental health provider you need, don’t worry. Our staff can help you figure it out when you call the office. And a psychiatrist can always refer you to a counselor, or vice versa, if necessary.
Is a Psychiatrist or a Psychologist Better for Depression?
Both psychiatrists and psychologists can effectively treat depression. At Thriveworks in Hoffman Estates, IL, clients may find they have a better rapport with one individual provider over another, regardless of specialty. Or a determining factor could be whether or not the client requires medication support for mood disorders. Only psychiatrists can prescribe psychotropic medication like antidepressants.
Some clients might see a psychologist for weekly therapy sessions, but see a psychiatrist once a month for medication management and brief follow-up appointments. It just depends. Both psychologists and psychologists might be qualified in the following therapies that can be targeted to treat depression:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Strength-based therapy
- Person-centered approaches
- Dialectical behavioral therapy (DBT)
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR)
- Cognitive restructuring
- Mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR)
- Existential therapy
- Psychodynamic therapy
- Motivational enhancement therapy (MET)
- Rational emotive therapy
- Humanistic/client-centered counseling
- Behavioral activation
- Narrative therapy
- Affect regulation
Is It Possible to Treat a Psychological Disorder by Yourself?
You can certainly take steps to help yourself overcome a mental health condition like depression or anxiety, but unless you are an expert in the field, it’s usually better to seek support from someone who treats mental health concerns for a living. This is not only because you might not have all the information you need, but because everyone has blind spots when it comes to their own psyche and functioning. Psychology and psychiatry are necessary health services that can help people overcome sometimes debilitating symptoms like the following:
- Excessive fears and worries
- Obsessions and fixations
- Repetitive behaviors
- Overwhelming feelings of sadness
- Problematic eating behaviors
- Disordered sleep
- Panic attacks
- Addictions and substance abuse
- Existential crises
- Attention difficulties
Book a Session with a Premium Psychologist at Thriveworks in Hoffman Estates, IL
The fully licensed and highly qualified psychologists at Thriveworks in Hoffman Estates, IL are recruited from the top 4% of applicants in the Chicago area. This ensures that Thriveworks clients get the best mental health care possible. Thriveworks providers accept most major forms of health insurance coverage, helping to make their services affordable as well.
When new clients call the Thriveworks office, most providers can begin working with them within 24-48 hours of their booking. And as an additional membership benefit, clients can access their provider by phone or email between sessions.
Thriveworks psychologists can meet with clients in-person at the modern office in Hoffman Estates, or online through online counseling sessions. Clients can choose the kind of session that’s most convenient and comfortable for them.
Call Thriveworks today to get started on your mental health journey. We look forward to hearing from you!