Marriage Therapy in Germantown, MD—Therapists and Counselors
When two people join together as one through marriage, they promise to love one another through everything—yes, everything. The thing is, marriage isn’t always a walk in the park. Conflict is inevitable, whether they are dealing with a crisis or a conflict that is preventing them from communicating or maintaining intimacy, couples counseling can help.
The statistics for divorce are daunting. However, divorce is not the only option for couples who are struggling. Many couples are learning new and healthier ways to relate, and they are working with a marriage or couples therapist to do so. Each issue—big and small—can be explored with the help of a professional therapist who can help couples navigate the ups and downs.
The counselors and therapists at Thriveworks Germantown know that marriages can get shaky. They work to help you get your marriage back on track.
Who Needs Marriage Therapy?
With life gets busy, it’s easy to put your marriage on the back burner. The kids have soccer practice, work is overwhelming, and your book club meets tomorrow (you haven’t even read this week’s chapter yet). With so much going on, issues can arise, and you might fail to address them which can cause these issues to grow in severity. Some of the most common issues married couples experience include:
- Communication problems
- Unsettled or destructive arguments
- Parenting frictions and challenges
- Painful pasts (prior to marriage)
- Overloaded schedules/consistent high stress
- Uncertainty about the future
Do any of these conflicts sound familiar? A marriage therapist can help. Remember: marriage therapy and couples counseling do not constitute shame. Many couples choose to seek this kind of support to create and maintain the best possible relationship.
How Can Marriage Counseling Help?
Marriage counseling can help couples in many ways. No two couples are the same, and different plans of action are established for each couple in their pursuit toward a happier, healthier relationship. Marriage counseling can help facilitate that process of growth. A few ways counselors at Thriveworks Germantown facilitate that process include:
- Providing neutral space for dialogue. When couples are passionate over an issue they are discussing, it can escalate quickly. A neutral space for discussion can allow for the issue itself to take priority.
- Setting expectations and timelines for change. Some issues need to be handled sooner than others. How do people set the boundaries for urgent and less urgent issues? Counselors at Thriveworks Germantown can guide the change process.
- Identifying toxic patterns. John Gottman completed a study on marriage longevity. He used four indicators to determine whether a marriage was headed for divorce. They are contempt, stonewalling, defensiveness, and criticism. These are toxic patterns of relating that can be identified and replaced with healthier patterns.
- Developing conflict resolution skills. If toxic patterns have infiltrated a relationship, each partner may need to learn new ways of relating to one another. At Thriveworks, we have experienced counselors that can lead couples through exercises that teach them how to attack the issue, instead of each other.
Call Thriveworks Germantown for Marriage Help Today
Marriage is a lifelong, up and down, beautiful commitment. It’s the joining together of two people through love. When two lives become one, conflict is bound to happen. We want you to receive the assistance and healing your marriage needs.
At Thriveworks Germantown, we have a “no waiting list” policy and new clients can have their first appointment within 24 hours. We want to help you, and we’re ready. We accept most insurance plans and offer flexible hours, with evening and weekend availability.
If you are ready to take a step toward a healthier marriage, call Thriveworks Germantown today at (240) 949-6808. We look forward to hearing from you.