Sandra and her partner Mike have been together for 5 years. Their marriage started off fantastic, and they’ve enjoyed each other’s company for most of their relationship. Most of their fights have been insignificant—at least until recently. After having a few drinks with his friends at a bar, Mike texted his ex-girlfriend, someone he hasn’t talked to in years. When he got home, he tried to explain to Sandra that the exchange was meaningless, but she disagrees; she thinks it’s a sign of his lack of commitment to the relationship.
Mike doesn’t want this disagreement to escalate, but he’s also not sure how to process his own behavior, especially the actions that have hurt Sandra’s feelings. That’s why Mike wants to schedule a time to talk with a couples therapist or marriage counselor—someone he hopes can bring them together. Mike wants to prioritize his relationship, and he knows that a mental health professional can help them do that.
At Thriveworks in Gainesville, FL, we have couples therapists and marriage counselors who can assist you in addressing your relationship’s issues. Trust in our industry-leading providers to help you and your spouse or partner navigate turbulent times. With a mental health professional’s guidance, your connection may find solid ground once more. Feel free to call or go online for more information about our services.
Do We Need Couples Therapy?
That’s a decision that’s best left up to couples to decide. Our team of providers values your relationship and its independence—their role is not to make decisions for you. Our relationship therapists and marriage counselors are committed to helping you both to preserve the bond that you share. That’s why we believe that seeking a mental health professional’s assistance is a proactive method of preserving your relationship.
If you’re unsure of whether or not you need assistance with your relationship problems, that’s okay too. There are common indications that may warn of unhealthy dynamics between couples, including the following:
- Passive-aggressive comments or abusive behavior
- Inability to respect each other’s boundaries
- Cheating, which may be uniquely defined within your relationship
- Arguments that last for hours or days
- Avoiding physical touch or sex
- Lying and other forms of emotional manipulation
- Stonewalling, or refusing to talk through important issues
These are only some of the behaviors that may indicate that a couple is experiencing communication difficulties. These symptoms are typically indications that you and your partner are not able to establish clear boundaries. That’s why those in troubled relationships can often benefit from the impartial guidance offered by a therapist or counselor. Reinforcing respectful communication and understanding can help to benefit any couple, at any stage in their connection.
Couples therapists and marriage counselors at Thriveworks in Gainesville, FL can assist partners to:
- Highlight the importance and need for compromise
- Rebuild trust after infidelity or dishonesty
- Establish healthy boundaries
- Rekindle sexual intimacy together
- Help both partners manage anger or anxiety
How Does Couples Counseling Work?
Relationship counseling is designed to benefit both of you by:
- Using feedback from both partners to establish healthy boundaries for communication
- Rebuilding trust by working through tough issues like infidelity or verbal abuse
- Rekindling intimacy by exploring physical aspects of your relationship
- Highlighting the importance and need for compromise with your therapist
In some instances, only one of you may be interested in contacting us for mental health assistance. That’s understandable—though it can be helpful to remember that couples therapy or marriage counseling seeks to bring partners closer together. our counselors are impartial allies for your relationship.
See a Marriage or Relationship Counselor in Gainesville, FL
Couples who enroll with Thriveworks get access to some of the industry’s best providers; but we also offer fantastic benefits to those who choose to enroll in our services. We’ve got you covered with:
- Scheduling assistance 7 days a week: Our scheduling specialists are available every day of the week, helping you find the right counselor to fit your needs and the schedule that fits both of your lives.
- Email and phone communication with your therapist or counselor: Stay in touch and in balance between sessions by reaching out to your shared provider.
- Same and next-day appointments and 23.5-hour cancellations: If something comes up or you aren’t feeling well, rest assured that you won’t be charged for missing your session, as long as you give us a 23.5-hour notice.
- Online therapy: With online therapy, moving your relationship forward doesn’t need to be held up by your busy schedule or time spent apart for work or travel. As long as you can talk privately, and get access to the internet, you and your partner can still attend sessions together.
Our couples therapists and relationship counselors at Thriveworks in Gainesville, FL have the resources and tools to help you and your loved one to start repairing your relationship. If you think that your relationship could benefit from the expertise of a mental health professional, don’t hesitate to give us a call, or go online to schedule your first session today.