Jody and her daughter, Taylor, have been at odds for months. Taylor enjoys her independence now that she’s an adult in her early 30s, but she looks back at her younger years with regret and embarrassment. She struggled to find herself early in life and often relied on her mom, Jody, for support. As a result, Jody grew used to making decisions for Taylor and hasn’t adjusted well to her daughter’s hard-earned self-sufficiency. Now, Taylor gets irritated by her mom’s intrusive questions and helicopter-like presence in her adult life. To Taylor, it feels like there’s no way to show Jody that she’s changed; and Taylor knows that having an adult relationship with her mom, one that’s founded on respect, is important.
Jody is starting to slowly understand that Taylor’s changed and that as a parent, she hasn’t adjusted well. But Jody doesn’t want to continue to drive a wedge between herself and her daughter, so she’s hoping to connect them both with a family therapist who can mediate their healing process. With a family therapist’s impartial assistance, Jody hopes that her daughter can feel more comfortable explaining her frustrations and that Jody herself can communicate more effectively.
Family is important. At Thriveworks in Evanston, IL we’re well aware—that’s why we have a qualified team of family therapists who are ready to team up with you and your loved ones. Family therapy seeks to bring relatives closer together and can help those who have grown apart to rekindle the bonds they share. Call our office today to find a family therapist that fits your needs.
Do We Need Family Therapy?
It’s up to you and your family members to decide if you need a mental health professional’s assistance. But at Thriveworks in Evanston, IL, we believe that any family, regardless of their situation, can benefit from talking with one of our therapists. There are common warning signs that indicate that a family’s dynamics have turned negative, including:
- Undiagnosed behavioral issues in children
- Recurring stress from caring for a disabled or elderly member
- Untreated or potentially undiagnosed mental illness or disorders that family members are suffering from, like ADHD or depression
- Residual anger or resentment between relatives over perceived wrongs or shortcomings
- Deaths within the family that have occurred without time to process the event
- One or more family members struggling with PTSD
- Addiction to drugs or alcohol in response to stress Communication skills that aren’t fully developed, resulting in constant arguments and bickering
These are just some of the many different issues that can arise and manifest for families, so don’t feel concerned if you don’t see the situation you’re faced with listed above. That’s why talking openly with a family therapist is so important—by doing so, you’re allowing them to understand more fully your family’s dynamics and current situation. The feedback that all of you share will fuel your progress and growth during counseling sessions.
How Can a Family Therapist Help?
Our family therapy team in Evanston, IL is committed to your family’s mental health, and the purpose of family therapy is to reconnect you with your loved ones. Family therapy can be a great way to:
- Strengthen your relationship with your loved ones by utilizing a safe space for each of you to speak candidly about your experience
- Foster compassion and encourage compromise towards one another
- Improve your communication skills and become a better listener
- Take advantage of a therapist’s presence—a neutral third party that allows for more balanced dialogue and candid discussion
- Create stronger boundaries of respect and encourage compromise
- Get treatment for previously undiagnosed mental health conditions
Plus, you can stay connected virtually with our online family therapy options. You and your relatives can connect with your therapist and attend sessions together, regardless of where you all live. As long as everyone has reliable access to the internet and somewhere private to talk, families can access the tools and resources provided by online counseling anywhere.
Schedule an Appointment with a Family Therapy at Thriveworks in Evanston, IL
Don’t hesitate if you’re ready to discover the benefits of counseling for you and your family. Thriveworks is committed to quality mental health care. And we’re excited to be a part of your family’s mental health journey. When you contact our office in Evanston, IL you’ll be assisted by our scheduling team. Our specialists are available seven days a week to help you with every step of the membership process— from setting up your insurance to finding the right provider to match your needs. And once your a Thriveworks member, you’ll have instant access to great benefits, like:
- No waitlist—take advantage of same and next day appointment times
- 23.5hr cancellations: just let us know 23.5 hours in advance if you can’t make it
- Phone and email contact with your provider in-between sessions
- Weekend and evening session availability
- Our Q/A chat: Ask a Thriveworks life coach the questions that can’t wait until the next session
Navigating the challenges of difficult family dynamics can be difficult, but with help from the family therapists at Thriveworks in Evanston, IL, it’s possible for families to find stability again. Reach out to our office; we look forward to connecting with you with a mental health professional—one that can make a difference in you and your loved one’s lives.