The author Sam Keen once wrote, “You come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by seeing an imperfect person perfectly.” When someone enters into a romantic relationship, they bring with them all their implicit expectations for how partners should be. Sometimes these beliefs are based on their past relationships. Sometimes their expectations are modeled on their parents’ relationship. But your beliefs and your partner’s beliefs about how other people should behave in intimate, love-based relationships don’t always align. And that can cause pain, misunderstandings, conflict, and even separation or divorce.
But the couples therapists and marriage counselors at Thriveworks in Encinitas, CA can help partners learn to see each other perfectly, in all their imperfections, and truly love each other despite their differences. You and your partner may eventually overcome whatever obstacle you face without couples therapy or marriage counseling at Thriveworks in Encinitas, CA, but it will probably take a lot longer, and be a lot more painful, if you try to do it on your own. Why not seek out an expert who can help you see your blind spots and find better communication and coping strategies? When things get hard in the short-term or you want to prevent a lot of long-term heartache, it pays to utilize the services of a relationship professional.
What Are the Signs That It’s Time to See a Marriage Therapist?
Couples seek licensed marriage counselors at Thriveworks in Encinitas, CA for all sorts of reasons. They may want to get their “spark” back. They may be considering a temporary separation but want to talk it through first. They may be engaged but want to work through their issues before the wedding with some solution-focused premarital counseling. But there are some common indications that it may be time for you and your partner to seek counseling at Thriveworks:
- You have the same exact argument over and over again, without ever seeming to advance your mutual understanding or empathy.
- Your communication has completely broken down. You’re either not speaking or you only speak negatively to each other.
- You’re dissatisfied with your sex life and can’t seem to discuss it honestly and openly.
- You or your partner is keeping a secret.
- You’re having an affair, or have had an affair. Or your partner has been unfaithful.
- Someone feels indifferent about the relationship or the other person.
- Someone is lying about important financial matters.
- You feel like everything is your partner’s fault.
- You feel like you and your partner are adversaries.
Or maybe you just want a professional to intervene now before you and your partner reach a crisis point. A licensed couples therapist at Thriveworks can give you the resources you need to prevent further erosion of your relationship.
How Does a Marriage Counselor Help Couples?
Marriage counselors at Thriveworks in Encinitas, CA use a variety of evidence-based, solution-focused techniques to help couples reconnect and achieve their relationship goals. Couples therapy sessions are typically brief (under 12 sessions), highly effective, and emphasize problem-solving and practical strategies. Licensed counselors may use one or several of the following therapies in Thriveworks sessions.
- The Gottman method, which uses love maps to help couples enhance their mutual respect
- Emotionally-focused couples therapy (EFCT), which focuses on strengthening emotional bonds
- Communication analysis, which takes a deep dive into how you and your partner speak to each other
- Narrative therapy, which uses storytelling to uncover truths about your relationship
Can Marriage Therapists Do Sessions Online?
The licensed couples therapists and marriage counselors at Thriveworks in Encinitas, CA can meet with couples online as well as in-person. Some clients find it easier to schedule online counseling sessions, because it means that all participants can join the conversation from different places. As long as everyone involved has a reliable internet connection, they can do the session from anywhere over the secure, HIPAA-compliant video conferencing software that Thriveworks provides. Online marriage counseling sessions can also be scheduled on evenings or weekends, depending on what suits everyone’s schedule.
Begin Healing Your Intimate Relationship with the Help of an Expert Couples Therapist at Thriveworks in Encinitas, CA
If you’re concerned about your relationship, try reaching out to a licensed professional therapist at Thriveworks in Encinitas, CA. Our marriage counselors have years of experience in helping couples see each others’ perspective and learn how to cohabitat happily. We even have counselors who specialize in LGBTQ, interracial, and multicultural couples.
When you call the Thriveworks office in Encinitas, CA, our highly trained staff can often place you in a counseling session within 24-48 hours. Sessions begin early or on-time over 97% of the time. And we can help you find out if your health insurance will cover the session.
Treat your relationship to a little TLC from a professional couples counselor. Call Thriveworks today!