Calvin grew up in a poor, underserved community where he often felt like he had to fight to survive. He was surrounded by bullies who antagonized him when he was walking to and from school. He got into a few physical altercations with older boys in the neighborhood who threatened to steal from him. Over time, Calvin found himself in a constant state of fight-or-flight. He felt like he always had to be on his guard in case someone was planning to target him. He felt like he had to act tough all the time even though he felt extremely vulnerable inside.
Later, when Calvin became a young man, he found that he still retained this defensive attitude even when it didn’t serve him anymore. In his intimate relationships, he had trouble opening up to his partners about his emotions. He didn’t want them to perceive him as weak. Ultimately his psychological crutches caused more than a few breakups. Calvin’s coping mechanisms might have served him when he was a kid growing up in a rough neighborhood, but they weren’t serving him anymore. He needed to talk to a professional about modifying his psychological strategies. He reached out to a psychologist at Thriveworks in Champaign, IL.
Psychologists are mental health providers who are highly trained to help their clients navigate emotional, social, academic, career, and family obstacles. Thriveworks psychologists in Champaign, IL have their clients’ best interests at heart as they provide the resources and support to help you achieve your goals.
When Should I Seek Help from a Psychologist?
It can be beneficial to seek help from a psychologist when you’re experiencing any of the following:
- Major or mild depression
- Obsessions and/or compulsions
- Social anxiety
- Addiction issues
- Sleep problems
- Eating problems
- Attention difficulties
- Caregiver stress or burnout
- Feeling lost or purposeless
- Stress related to trauma
- Family crises
- Difficulty managing your anger
- Overwhelming grief
- Physical or emotional abuse
Some of these challenges can be a sign of a larger mental disorder that needs to be treated; other symptoms may just need to be treated as stand-alone issues. A clinical or counseling psychologist at Thriveworks in Champaign, IL will work with you to understand your specific needs before starting any treatment plan.
How Is a Psychologist Different from Other Mental Health Professionals?
There can be a lot of overlap between mental health professions like psychology, psychiatry, counseling, and social work. And if you don’t know what or who you need, Thriveworks in Champaign, IL can help direct you to the right provider. Take the time to familiarize yourself with the different types of mental health providers and what they do:
- Licensed clinical social workers (or LCSWs, who have a master’s degree in social work and may address both psychotherapeutic and practical needs like healthcare assistance and job services)
- Psychologists (who have a master’s degree in psychology and are licensed to provide psychological therapy)
- Psychiatrists (who earned MDs at medical school and can prescribe psychiatric medications in addition to providing therapy)
- Telepsychiatrists (psychiatrists who can practice online, which Thriveworks psychiatrists are licensed to do)
- Licensed professional counselors (or LPCs, who provide psychotherapeutic counseling)
- Psychotherapists (an umbrella term for a psychologist, psychiatrist, counselor, or social worker who treats clients through talk therapy)
- Marriage and family therapists (or MFTs, who treat families and couples)
- Substance abuse counselors (or CSACs, who are certified to treat drug and alcohol problems)
Schedule Your Convenient Psychology Appointment at Thriveworks in Champaign, IL
When you call the Thriveworks office in Champaign, IL during our extended business hours, you’ll reach a human, not a voicemail. We will help match you to a mental health provider like a psychologist and try to make your first appointment quickly, sometimes within 24-48 hours. Our psychotherapists, social workers, and psychiatrists are highly qualified, top rated, and fully licensed, so our clients always know they’re getting the best care.
As a reward for enrolling with Thriveworks, you will receive numerous exclusive benefits, like access to your provider via phone and email between sessions, and our Ask-a-coach 24hr Q&A. You can also avoid the waiting room by scheduling an online appointment. In fact, you can avoid waiting altogether: our sessions start on time or early over 97% of the time. We also help make therapy affordable by accepting major medical insurance. And we’re always hiring new clinicians and expanding our therapeutic offerings.
We look forward to starting this journey with you! Call our office today.