Depression is one of the most serious forms of mental illness. It can suck the joy out of nearly anything it touches: marriages, friendships, hobbies, physical health, and most importantly, our ability to hold on to happiness. Depression can also be hard to pin down by ourselves, though. Most of us get sad occasionally and don’t think much of it.
But if you’ve been fighting feelings of hopelessness, sadness, or a sense of general gloom, you may be experiencing some form of depression. Our Thriveworks office in Carrollton, TX understands how to treat depression and how to help you take back your life, one step at a time. If you’d like to work with a therapist to treat and identify the symptoms that you’re fighting, give our Carrollton, TX office a call.
What Depression Actually Feels Like
Despite popular opinion, depression isn’t about being sad all the time. In fact, those with depression might seem confused when they’re feeling occasionally upbeat or humorous, usually between an onslaught of dark days. Depression takes many forms, and can come and go oftentimes with no warning. For those who are in the midst of a depressive bout, they may feel:
- A general lack of energy, resulting in lethargy
- An unusually shortened temper, or the sensation of being emotionally drained
- Ongoing sadness that lasts for weeks, or even days without end
- Lack of interest in existing relationships or hobbies
- Possible anti-social behavior, withdrawn outward appearance, and demeanor
- Lack of motivation to take care of one’s self (i.e. exercise, personal hygiene, work performance)
These are just some of the common symptoms of depression and those who seek help or are diagnosed with this condition might find that their situation varies. It’s important to remember it’s not possible to diagnose yourself with any psychological condition, including depression. But at Thriveworks in Carrollton, TX, we can match you with a therapist who will help to identify your unique set of issues and work with you to establish a treatment plan that provides you with a restored quality of life.
Depression Takes Different Forms
There are several types of commonly known forms of depression:
- Major Depressive Disorder: What most people think of as “classical” depression. This type of depression includes long stints of hopelessness, combined with emotional detachment and lessened interest in old hobbies or relationships.
- Minor Depression: Minor Depression is typically quite similar to Major Depression, but as the name suggests, bouts of this form of depression are less severe and don’t play as pivotal a role in the sufferer’s life overall.
- Postpartum Depression: 1 in 8 women experience symptoms of postpartum depression, which is a mood disorder that is onset by giving birth. Postpartum depression develops during the mother’s recovery period. Women who undergo caesarian sections are even more likely to experience this type of depression.
- Bipolar Disorder: This form of the disorder is an example of how depression doesn’t always translate into extreme states of negativity. Bipolar disorders affect those who have it by creating unpredictable swings from manic happiness and euphoria to the dark depths of anger, loneliness, and despair.
It’s important to note that no single form of depression is better or worse than the others. All forms of this condition can detrimentally affect a person’s mental health and wellbeing. If you or someone you know is struggling with what might be symptoms of depression, don’t wait to schedule an appointment with a Thriveworks counselor.
Get Treatment for Depression with Thriveworks in Carrollton, TX
Sometimes all it takes is one right decision to change everything. At Thriveworks, we believe that seeking treatment from mental health professionals for depression can help sufferers find the relief they might desperately need. With the ability to connect both virtually and in person, Thriveworks in Carrollton, TX can help you find yourself again.
And when you enroll with us, you’ll get access to some of our industry-leading benefits like:
- 24/7 life coach availability
- Exclusive video content
- A Free E-book, “Leaving Depression Behind”
- Online therapy options, which could make talking about something as difficult as depression easier
At the end of the day, depression can make you feel like you never even got out of bed. The symptoms of this condition vary considerably, and can isolate those who are feeling it, making them think they are alone. The bright side is that you aren’t alone—depression is entirely treatable, and doing something to start healing can make all the difference.
Our Thriveworks team in Carrollton, TX wants to help you move towards better mental health and quality of life. So, give us a call; it’s never too late to experience the benefits of our mental health services. We look forward to hearing from you.