The legendary basketball coach John Wooden once stated, “Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.” When you’re severely depressed, you may not be able to go to work, talk about your feelings to your friends, or meet your daily goals. You may not even be able to get out of bed in the morning because you’re so overwhelmed. But you or a loved one can call Thriveworks and start getting you the care you need to feel better.
Depression counseling at Thriveworks in Berkeley, CA is characterized by fully licensed, highly experienced, compassionate therapists delivering expert care to the people who need it the most. Thriveworks clients can meet depression counselors online through a secure telehealth connection if that’s most comfortable and convenient for them. They can also meet with a counselor in person at the modern office in Berkeley. Whatever type of counseling session they choose, they will receive depression treatment of the highest quality that will put them back on the path to achieving their goals.
What Is Depression?
The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) lists the following eight criteria for depression:
- A depressed mood lasting longer than two weeks
- Loss of interest or pleasure in activities you usually enjoy, aka anhedonia
- Changes in appetite
- Psychomotor retardation (slowed-down movements and thoughts)
- Fatigue and/or exhaustion
- Overwhelming feelings of sadness, guilt, or worthlessness
- Problems with concentration and/or memory
- Suicidality (If you’re ever considering harming yourself, call a crisis hotline immediately.)
But depression isn’t always by the book. Though the criteria above are important, the licensed depression counselors at Thriveworks in Berkeley, CA will also be on the lookout for the following symptoms:
- Irritability, which can manifest in depressed men more than women
- Substance abuse or addiction, which can be a sign that someone is having difficulty coping with distressed feelings
- Psychomotor agitation (sped-up thoughts and actions)
- Changes in sleeping patterns
- Changes in libido (sex drive)
- Social isolation
A full evaluation for depression might include a physical exam and a psychosocial assessment. For example, psychiatrists at Thriveworks will want to rule out other medical problems that can cause depression symptoms before they prescribe medication like antidepressants.
What Are the Best Therapies for Depression?
Depression is a highly treatable mental health condition. Early intervention can lead to especially good outcomes. People who have experienced episodes of depression in the past need to take preventative measures to help prevent future episodes. Many of the following treatments offered by depression counselors at Thriveworks in Berkeley, CA have extensive evidence and peer-reviewed research to back them up:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), which aims to modify maladaptive thought patterns and beliefs to improve mental health
- Dialectical behavior therapy, which is a type of CBT that helps regulate emotions
- Supportive therapy, which enables a person to use their own resources to improve general functioning
- Psychodynamic therapy, which uses self-reflection and self-examination in talk therapy to bring awareness to the origins of distress
- Holistic remedies like meditation, muscle relaxation, and mindfulness
- Family therapy or couples therapy, which helps support and include loved ones in depression recovery
- Behavioral activation, which focuses on a person’s behavior and environment
- Psychiatric medications
What Is the Relationship Between Depression and Substance Abuse?
People who are depressed are at risk of turning to drugs, alcohol, and other substances in order to self-medicate. This means that they find a short-term coping strategy for their distress that will probably create more problems in the long run. People who are depressed may also become addicted to sex or gambling in an effort to escape from their feelings of sadness. Depression counselors at Thriveworks in Berkeley, CA can address a client’s substance abuse issues alongside depression.
Find Exceptional Treatment for Depression at Thriveworks in Berkeley, CA
At Thriveworks in Berkeley, CA, people receive premium mental health services at affordable rates. The licensed depression counselors at Thriveworks accept most major health insurance plans and offer reasonable self-pay rates as well. Thriveworks therapists are highly qualified to deliver exceptional care that will put clients back on the road to recovery from depression.
Depression counselors at Thriveworks can meet with clients in-person at the Berkeley office, or online through virtual therapy sessions. These online counseling sessions take place over secure telehealth software that ensures provider-client confidentiality.
Additional benefits of Thriveworks enrollment include email and phone access to providers between sessions, and exclusive educational resources like our depression e-book and video content.
Thriveworks therapists can meet with clients quickly. Most people can speak to their provider within 24-48 hours of their initial call or online booking.
Don’t wait to get the help you need to overcome your depression and get back to your life. You don’t have to suffer. Call Thriveworks and meet an exceptional counselor who can help.