Treatment of Bipolar Disorder in Amherst, MA—Therapy and Counseling
Do you or someone you know have days when it is difficult, seemingly impossible, to get out of bed in the morning? Other days you may feel energized, like you can take on the world? Periods of severe depression and anxiety can shift to euphoria for one day to the next. But these mood swings also bring difficulties sleeping, staying focused, or performing normally routine tasks.
People with these or similar symptoms may have a bipolar disorder. Bipolar Disorder is a serious mental condition that should not be ignored. With the proper, effective treatment, people who suffer from bipolar disorder can learn to manage these symptoms and live fruitful, happy lives. The counselors and therapists at Thriveworks Amherst are trained and have years of experience helping people with Bipolar disorder by providing the care and support needed in order to overcome these symptoms and live fulfilled lives.
Bipolar Disorder was formally referred to as manic depression because of significant swings in mood from severe depression to high, frenetic mania. Research has estimated that Bipolar Disorder affects almost 6 million people in the United States alone. Call Thriveworks Amherst at (413) 634-4805 to see a Thriveworks Amherst bipolar disorder counselor.
Signs of Bipolar Disorder
People with bipolar disorder experience severe ups and downs in their daily lives with periodic and excessive disruption to their daily routine. Someone with bipolar disorder may experience significant mood swings that are often accompanied by changes in sleep, energy level, eating patterns, spending habits and disruption in judgment skills. Bipolar symptoms may also have a negative impact on one’s personal and professional relationships. This can result in severe difficulties performing tasks required at home, school or work. These irregular changes in moods and behaviors can often be bewildering to co-workers and loved ones.
Learning about the signs of Bipolar can bring understanding and motivation to seek relief. Symptoms may include:
- Difficulty focusing
- Inability to make decisions.
- Surges in energy followed by severe fatigue
- Hyper or slowed psychomotor activity (for example, slurred speech or rapid toe tapping).
- Either excessive sleeping or difficulty sleeping.
- Feelings of guilt, shame, and worthlessness.
- Significant increases or decreases in appetite or weight
The following list, provided by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition, describes a mania cycle:
- Persistent euphoric or contentious mood;
- Obsessively planning but rarely accomplishing things;
- An inability to slow one’s thinking;
- Taking unnecessary financial, emotional, physical, or sexual risks;
- Shifting attention quickly from one topic to another;
- Talking excessively and often rapidly;
- An unrealistic sense of one’s abilities.
These symptoms are also disruptive to an individual’s daily functioning including difficulties in relationships.
Getting Therapy Is Essential
It is important that someone diagnosed with bipolar disorder or experiencing bipolar symptoms, receives help from an experienced and skilled therapist or counselor. These professionals not only have the skills to treat this disorder, but the ones at Thriveworks Amherst have been specifically selected for their ability to build trust with the people they treat. Just as anyone who has been diagnosed with a life changing illness needs to work closely with a specialist in the field of that illness, people with bipolar disorder will need to work closely with a mental health professional who is gifted and trained in that area. It is important that the person with bipolar disorder, depression, anxiety or other mood disorders remember these two things:
- Find Support: Don’t go it alone.When we suffer from bi-polar symptoms it feels like no one else in the world understands what we are going through. As a result, particularly when in a depressive state, we withdraw from others. However, what we need to do is seek out others who can be supportive and empathize with our experience. A professional therapist or counselor is a person who has treated others with bipolar disorder and/or other mood disorders such as depression and anxiety. It can have amazing results to talk to someone one who understands and can give guidance needs to get through these depressive or manic periods.
- Never give up hope.It can be frightening to consider that you may have a bipolar disorder. However, continual research is being done in the treatment of bipolar disorder, depression, anxiety and other mood disorders. As a result, great gains have been realized in therapy and counseling methods. Mental health professionals now have a greater understanding on how to treat this condition. Many who seek treatment for bipolar disorder can now live wonderful, productive lives.
Appointments for Bipolar Therapy at Thriveworks Amherst
If suspect that you or someone you love may be suffering from Bipolar Disorder, don’t hesitate to contact the professional therapists and counselors at Thriveworks Amherst. Appointments are always available and at Thriveworks Amherst there is never a waiting list. Our caring and experienced therapists and counselors have years of experience helping many clients find relief from their bipolar symptoms. Thriveworks Amherst also accepts most forms of insurance. So, let’s get start getting the relief that you or a loved one needs. Call Thriveworks Amherst today at 413-643-4805.