We are in a loneliness epidemic. Now, more than ever, people feel disconnected and lonely. It is a deep spiral that is all too easy to slip down. To make it worse, it’s hard to get out of! Feelings of loneliness transform to the belief that you are incapable of making friends, or are unlikeable, or that you don’t need people at all. This belief manifests in further isolation, which compounds the initial problem.
Thriveworks Amherst loneliness therapy is here to stop the process before it gives way to a spiral, and to help you out of one if you are already in it. You are never without hope. When it comes to loneliness, it is a temporary feeling, one that we can work out of together. Let us at Thriveworks Amherst help by calling 413-634-4805 and schedule an appointment with one of our counselors.
Am I Lonely?
Is this normal? Why am I not happy? How do people have cute romantic relationships, families who love them, and a tight inner circle of friends to hang out with? Why does my life not look like New Girl or Friends yet?
Maybe you don’t consciously compare your life to what you see on media, but media does play a huge impact in our perception of what a “successful” relationship is. Notice how none of the classic shows that idolize relationships show the boring days, the normal days, the days when you just want to curl up and hide from the world. They show the exciting days, the ones where friends and family come together in big ways.
But that is simply not the truth of society. Instead, we have to create our own community around our lifestyle and the lifestyle we hope to live one day. Unrealistic expectations paired with diminishing self-esteem and a fast-paced lifestyle makes it hard to form those deep connections that we as humans need.
So, what are signs that your loneliness has taken a turn for the worse and you should see a professional? Easy answer- if you are unhappy, it’s worth reaching out. You deserve the happiest, healthiest, most fulfilling life you can have. Thriveworks Amherst can help you get there.
Long answer: look for these signs, they might point towards a growing problem.
- Low Self-esteem/self-hatred
- Negative self-talk
- Isolating yourself
- Social anxiety
- Feelings of emptiness
- Feeling like you’re imprisoned in your own body and life
- Constantly comparing your life to others
- Wishing you had closer connections
- Feeling like you have no where to turn when you are hurting
- Changes in eating habits or weight
These are just a few of the symptom’s loneliness can bring on. It is a big deal and can have huge impacts on your life. But so can counseling. Thriveworks Amherst is here to walk beside you as we heal and grow from your past to form a better future.
What Is Loneliness Therapy Like?
Thriveworks Amherst is a client-centered practice. That means we always adapt our practice to fit your needs, goals, situation, and personality/lifestyle. There is not one set way to go about counseling, nor should there be! It is an individualized practice whose core fundaments are always empathy, zero judgment, and support.
Outside of those core features, our Thriveworks Amherst counselors have many tools that can combat loneliness in particular. Some of these include:
- Redefining what community is to you
- Taking out or limiting negative influences (social media, tv, etc.)
- Reorganizing priorities and creating a game plan to achieve your goals (a new car won’t make you happy in the long run, what is really causing your discontentment and how can we combat it?)
- Learning how to put yourself out there socially and take risks
- Social skills that will grow your confidence and self-esteem
- Define what you want your life to look like
- Address any concerns loneliness brought with it, such as insomnia, depression, or anxiety
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT- identifying negative thoughts and replacing them with positive ones)
- Mindfulness- learning how to be mindful about your actions and thoughts and how they impact your emotions
These are just a few of the tools Thriveworks Amherst can teach you so you can tackle your challenges with strength.
When you are lonely, it can feel like a pit you have no hope of getting out of. But there is always hope. Thriveworks Amherst counselors are here to help you see it and take the steps towards a healthier, happier life. So please don’t hesitate. Call 413-634-4805 and set up an appointment with one of our therapists today.