Divorce Recovery Counseling in Amherst, MA–Counselors and Therapists
We all enter marriage believing we are beginning a life with someone who will be there for the rest of our life. On the day of our wedding we never dream that the relationship that we are entering may come to an end. But there are times when that relationship does not work out which often results in emotional turmoil including feelings of guilt, shame, betrayal and possibly a sense of failure. If this has happened to you, it may be difficult to try and find a new life path on your own. There is often a sense of loneliness associated with divorce that can result in
- depression, and
But struggling with a divorce can also bring a list of substantive issues and difficult decisions including:
- financial issues,
- housing circumstances,
- legal decisions,
- custody issues,
- extended family complications, and
- changes in our circles of friends.
The good news is that you don’t have to go through this process alone. A divorce recovery therapist or counselor at Thriveworks Amherst can offer judgement free and compassion support as well as an objective point of view on the difficult process of recovering from a divorce. Call a divorce recovery therapist or counselor at Thriveworks Amherst today at 413-634-4805 and get the support you need.
The Circumstances Surrounding Divorce
The well-known expert on marriage, Dr. John Gottman, categorizes four basic reasons why divorce occurs. He labeled these reasons “The Four Horsemen” and they include:
- Contempt: A loss of respect between one or both partners triggering growing tension and uncertainty,
- Criticism: On-going negative interactions leaving the recipient feeling discouraged and unsupported,
- Defensiveness: An unwillingness to own any responsibility for existing discord in the relationship,
- Stonewalling: Minimizing one’s involvement in issues contributing to tensions in the relationship.
These factors can contribute to extra-marital affairs or abuse that may be the final acts leading to the end of the relationship. This can also lead to one or both individuals in the relationship experiencing trauma that can lead to swings in mood, aberrant or addictive behavior.
How Can Someone Recover from Divorce?
There is no one single formula for how someone will recover from a divorce. Everyone is different in the ways that they experience healing from a failed relationship. Also, no two people experience the breakup of a marriage in the same way. People differ in how divorce affects them. Some differences may include:
- Whether the end of the relationship was a long gradual process or caused by a sudden traumatic event;
- Some people have an understanding of the reasons why the relationship ended while for others divorce leaves them bewildered and confused;
- Some people may feel numb from the process of ending a relationship while others experience intense emotional pain;
- Whether the effects of the divorce are limited to the individuals directly involved or if there is a ripple effect affecting others such as children or extended family;
- If the end of the marriage begins a new relationship or if the individual experiencing divorce is left feeling alone.
The healing process will have to match the specific needs of the individuals involved. This will require the expertise of a professional therapist or counselor who is trained in the factors leading to a divorce, the different ways that someone experiencing divorce can be affected and the tools and therapeutic approaches available to enhance the healing process of divorce recovery. This process is not an easy one. There are many emotional traps and pitfalls that one can experience along the way. The divorce recovery therapists and counselors at Thriveworks Amherst are aware of these hazards and of the ways that individuals involved in divorce recovery can overcome them. The professional therapists and counselors at Thriveworks Amherst are trained experts with years of experience helping people rebuild their lives after a divorce. These experienced therapists guide their clients through the obstacles that present themselves after the breakup of a serious relationship and help individuals find new purpose and meaning to their lives.
Divorce Recovery Therapy at Thriveworks Amherst
Are you in the middle of a divorce or the breakup of a serious relationship? The divorce recovery therapists and counselors at Thriveworks Amherst understand what you are going through and know what it will take to get you back on your feet and guide you to develop a new direction for your life. Therapists and counselors at Thriveworks Amherst have helped many people come through the pain and the loss of separation and divorce to reclaim joy and happiness in their lives. If you are going through or have gone through a difficult divorce, don’t try to go it alone. Seek the help of a professional at Thriveworks Amherst by calling at 413-634-4805. Thriveworks Amherst offers weekend and evening appointments and accepts most major health plans. So don’t hesitate and call today.