Depression counseling can help those with major depression, minor depression, postpartum depression, persistent depressive disorder, and more. The providers at Thriveworks in Waco, TX will develop a unique treatment plan based on your specific experience, needs, and goals.
Depression counseling works by helping people pinpoint life problems, distorted thought patterns, and other causes of their depression, then process and work through them in order to mitigate the negative effects those factors have on their lives.
Depression counseling can last for a few weeks, months, or longer, dependent on the severity of one's depression as well as their needs and preferences.
At Thriveworks, we take most major forms of insurance, which means that many of our clients only pay a $0-$50 co-pay per session. However, there are also self-pay options that sit around $200 per session, depending on the service and location, for those who are out-of-network.
What Are the Symptoms of Depression?
It’s still important to keep track of your mental health and to see a provider if you’re experiencing negative mental health symptoms that might be warning signs of depression, including:
- A noted lack of interest in sex, hobbies, or relationships
- Feeling distant from loved ones and friends
- Decreased work performance
- Feeling chronically fatigued
- Overeating or avoiding eating
- Lack of self-care (i.e. personal hygiene or a clean living environment)
- You’ve been abusing drugs and alcohol to cope with emotional pain
These are just a few of the ways that depression might manifest. If you’re diagnosed with depression, you might find that your personal experience varies. In the meantime, it’s better to not try and self-diagnose. It’s tempting to try, but only a qualified mental health professional, like the ones on our team at Thriveworks in Waco, TX can do that. x
What Are the Different Types of Depression?
“Depression” as we like to think of it refers to a group of closely-related disorders. There are many different types of depression, but some of the most common that our providers help people manage include:
- Major depressive disorder: This condition captures the popular perception of depression. Those with major depression experience emotional detachment and hopelessness. These factors usually take away from their work, relationships, and hobbies.
- Postpartum depression: Postpartum depression is a mood disorder that arises after a woman gives birth. Women who undergo caesarian sections or experience a miscarriage are even more likely to experience this type of depression.
- Minor depression: As the name suggests, minor depression is related to major depression—it’s typically severe in its effect and duration. Still, those with this condition will seem distant, withdrawn, or overwhelmed with sadness. Minor depression can be harder to detect.
- Bipolar disorder: This mental health condition can alter someone’s emotions wildly, ranging from elation in one moment to overwhelming despair in the next. Those with bipolar disorder might find it hard to maintain close relationships or jobs due to their unpredictable mood swings.
How Can Thriveworks Help Treat My Depression?
At Thriveworks in Waco, TX, our clients work with counselors and psychiatric NPs. All of these mental health professionals can help everyday people mitigate the symptoms of depression, but they may treat the mental health condition in different ways. For example, psychiatric NPs are:
- Medical professionals who are licensed to diagnose and treat many different conditions
- Able to use helpful prescription medicine
- May serve better for more severe cases of depression
In comparison, counselors and psychologists can help clients cope with depression by:
- Creating a professional connection with their client to better understand their depression
- Serving as a verbal and emotional outlet for those burdened by this mood disorder
- Using talk and behavioral therapy to implement coping strategies for clients
Schedule a Therapy or Psychiatry Session at Thriveworks in Waco, TX
Taking the time to prioritize your mental health could offer you real relief from the disruptive and damaging symptoms of depression. Thankfully, we’ve made enrolling and getting treatment from our mental health professionals as easy as possible with the help of our scheduling team.
They’re available to assist you seven days a week with everything from setting up your insurance to finding the perfect provider to fit your needs. Regardless of whether you talk to a therapist or psychiatric NP the mental health professionals at Thriveworks can help you better understand and manage your depression.
With assistance from our qualified team in Waco, TX, you can reduce the effects of depression and start enjoying life once more.