It’s common for people to experience feelings of sadness every once in a while. But when these feelings are persistent and begin to produce symptoms that negatively affect your ability to function, it may be time to consider depression counseling as a way to get your life back on track.
Many people who suffer from depression are reluctant to get help. They may not think their symptoms are serious enough to require counseling services. They may be too embarrassed to reach out for help; they may even feel held back by their hectic schedule. People push off getting help for all kinds of reasons but depressive disorders won’t typically go away on their own — they often require the help of a licensed mental health professional.
Anxiety, depression, and other mental health disorders are more common than you may think. Millions of Americans deal with depression every year — maybe even some of your favorite celebrities.
For example, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson has struggled with depression throughout his life. It took him a long time to realize it but he admits in interviews how glad he was to finally open up about his feelings and difficulties. Singers Katy Perry and Lady Gaga have both gone public with their experiences with depressive episodes as well to help bring awareness to essential mental health services.
If depression is getting in the way of your life, Thriveworks in Vallejo, CA can help. We provide a safe, comfortable atmosphere that allows our clients to open up about their depression symptoms and get the treatment they need. We make it easy and affordable to get help so you can focus on getting better. When you’re ready to get started, we’re ready to help you take the next step.
What Are Typical Depression Symptoms?
It’s common to feel down every now and then, but ongoing, severe depression can really start to interfere with your life. Mental illnesses and mood disorders can affect your day-to-day functioning and make simple tasks difficult to complete. They can affect your relationships with others and they can even be detrimental to your physical health.
Here are some symptoms of depression that may indicate it’s a good time to reach out for help:
- A loss of interest in the things you used to love
- Trouble sleeping and getting out of bed in the morning
- An inability to complete normal day-to-day tasks
- Mood changes
- Weight loss or weight gain
- Decreased energy
- Difficulty concentrating
- Lack of self-esteem
- Substance abuse
If any of these symptoms have started to interfere with your life, consider reaching out to Thriveworks in Vallejo, CA today to set up an appointment.
What Does the Treatment of Depression Look Like?
If you are experiencing severe feelings of depression, Thriveworks in Vallejo, CA has therapists and counselors on-hand who are trained to customize a treatment plan that is suitable to your unique situation.
Here are some common treatment options that may be integrated into your counseling sessions:
- Talk therapy: Talk therapy encourages communication between the therapist and the client so they can identify and resolve issues causing emotional distress.
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT): CBT is a specific type of talk therapy that focuses on identifying and changing harmful thought patterns to more effectively regulate your emotions and reduce symptoms.
- Medication: In some cases, depression may be due to chemical imbalances that can be treated with medication. In these instances, our psychiatrists can prescribe antidepressants or other medications to help alleviate your symptoms in the short term or long term.
- Coping skills: Some clients benefit from learning how to self-soothe and tolerate distress more effectively through relaxation techniques, exercise, changes in eating habits, meditation, and other coping mechanisms.
Depression counseling can help you unearth and address the problems that cause you suffering. If you’re ready to take the first step in prioritizing your mental health, give us a call today at Thriveworks in Vallejo, CA.
Schedule a Depression Counseling Appointment at Thriveworks in Vallejo, CA
Some people may be reluctant to start therapy because they think they won’t be able to fit the sessions into their busy schedules.
But at Thriveworks in Vallejo, CA, we make it easy with weekday, evening, and weekend appointments for both in-person and online appointments. Remote appointments can be conducted over the phone or by video so you can speak with a mental health professional at home, at work, in the car, or even in the park. Our counselors are also available throughout the week via phone or email in case questions arise in between appointments.
We accept various types of health insurance and offer a flexible 23.5-hour cancellation policy. When you’re ready to speak to a licensed counselor or therapist, contact us at Thriveworks in Vallejo, CA.