Maintaining healthy relationships with members of your family can feel like a herculean task. Each relationship demands time, energy, and attention — and that’s when things are going well. When issues arise or feelings get hurt, the amount of effort it takes to resolve these situations can be overwhelming, especially if you feel like you’re the only one putting in any effort.
Unhealthy family dynamics can be detrimental to all involved. Long-standing disagreements can lead to resentment and discord among the entire household. One person’s substance abuse can negatively impact the rest of the family system. Parents can suffer from mental health issues, never address them, and unintentionally pass harmful habits onto their children.
For all of these reasons, it’s often best to nip family issues in the bud before they get out of hand. However, that is often easier said than done. Disagreements may not resolve no matter how hard you try. Some family members may be more interested in holding grudges than they are in truly making progress.
If you think you could use some professional guidance, consider speaking with a family therapist. Sometimes, getting a fresh perspective from a licensed professional can make all the difference. Looking for marriage and family therapists in your area? Reach out to us at Thriveworks in Vallejo, CA to make your first appointment.
When Should I Consider Family Therapy?
Families seek out counseling for a variety of reasons. Here are some of the most common examples:
- A family member’s mental health issue is making life difficult for others
- Substance abuse or addiction is negatively impacting the family
- Parents are going through a divorce, separation, or remarriage
- Your family is grieving the death of a loved one
- Family members are having trouble adjusting to a major life transition (a move, unemployment, etc.)
- Disagreements never seem to resolve
- You feel like you’re stepping on eggshells around your family
- Feelings of resentment and jealousy persist for long periods of time
- You’ve suffered abuse or trauma at the hands of a family member
If you are dealing with any of these family issues, the mental health professionals at Thriveworks in Vallejo, CA can help. We provide the guidance and services to help families overcome their problems in the short term and foster healthier and happier relationships in the long term.
Common Methods Used in Family Therapy
If you are thinking about family therapy, it’s natural to wonder what to expect. Here are some of the services our mental health professionals use to help families achieve higher levels of wellness.
- Relationship counseling: Often, issues between parents can affect the entire family. This can include a lack of intimacy, communication issues, feelings of resentment, and more. Relationship counseling addresses problems between the parents to help the entire family move forward in a healthy manner.
- Family systems therapy: Systems theory holds that the individual parts of a system are largely informed by and inseparable from the larger system. In this type of therapy, clients explore how their behaviors are influenced by other members of the familiy and find solutions that accommodate the larger family structure.
- Narrative therapy: As we experience ups and downs in life, we tell ourselves stories about those events that help to create a sense of self-identity. Narrative therapy encourages family members to distance themselves from those stories, framing their experiences differently to help families reconnect in a more meaningful way.
Your marriage and family therapist will work with you to find a treatment plan that makes the most sense for you. Whether you’re seeking to resolve conflicts in a non-confrontational manner, form stronger bonds with your loved ones, or soften feelings of resentment, our licensed professionals are here to help.
Consider scheduling a family therapy appointment today by reaching out to us at Thriveworks Counseling in Vallejo, CA.
Begin Family Counseling Sessions at Thriveworks, Vallejo, CA
If you think your family could benefit from family therapy sessions, Thriveworks in Vallejo, CA makes it easy to get started.
Click our scheduling widget or give us a call and we can often introduce you to a counselor in as little as 24-48 hours. Therapy sessions are available over the phone and via video conference if commuting to our Vallejo office proves difficult. We also open early and stay open late, making it convenient for you to find times that work within your family’s schedules.
Thriveworks clients have access to their counselor or therapist in between sessions. Reach out via email or telephone to discuss issues that arise outside of your appointments. Or head on over to our counselor-moderated discussion boards to engage with our active Thriveworks community.
Struggling with family issues can be overwhelming but you don’t have to go it alone. Thriveworks in Vallejo, CA has mental health professionals to help you get through your issues so you can enjoy a happier and healthier family life. Call us today to take the first step on the road to wellness.