Relationships certainly come with their fair share of ups and downs. At their best, they can provide the emotional support and physical intimacy we need to feel our healthiest and happiest. But with any two people — no matter how strong the bond — it is common for issues to arise regarding intimacy, communication, trust, and more.
Sometimes it’s possible to handle these issues on our own. But when they get to be too much, couples and marriage counseling can help.
You might be hesitant to seek counseling services because you feel like it’s a sign of weakness in your romantic relationship. Or, you might not be sure if the problems in your relationship are serious enough to require professional counseling. But the truth is, counseling is a great way for any couple to get a fresh perspective and deal with their problems collaboratively so they can move on and move forward.
If you think couples counseling may benefit your relationship, Thriveworks Counseling in Vallejo, CA can help. We offer evidence-based treatment options that are customized to your needs and tailored to improve trust and communication.
When Do People Seek Out Relationship Counseling?
Gabrielle Union and Dwayne Wade attended marriage counseling sessions to help them figure out why they were fighting so much. Kristin Bell and Dax Shepherd sought out counseling to stop bickering and get back to feeling like a team. Patrick Dempsey and Jillian Fink filed for divorce but decided to rethink that decision after they visited with a marriage and family therapist.
Couples may seek out relationship counseling for any number of reasons. Here are some of the most common problems that arise:
- Lack of intimacy
- Anger management issues
- Jealousy and possessiveness
- Issues stemming from trauma or loss
- Substance abuse and addiction
- Career issues (unemployment or workaholism e.g.)
- Communication issues
- Honesty issues (keeping secrets, e.g.)
- Separation or divorce
If you and your partner are dealing with one or more of these issues and you’re noticing that it’s starting to interfere with your health and happiness, you don’t have to go it alone. Contact Thriveworks in Vallejo, CA to find out how we can help.
What Techniques Do Couples Therapists Use?
Marriage and couples therapists use several techniques during therapy sessions, depending on the needs and goals of their clients. Here are some examples of methods that are used to help solve common relationship issues:
- Emotionally focused therapy: This type of therapy helps a couple understand their emotions and guides them to develop a more trusting and meaningful bond.
- The Gottman Method: The Gottman Method is an approach that uses data-driven interventions to increase respect, affection, and intimacy.
- Solution-focused therapy: While some forms of therapy focus on the past, solution-focused therapy helps couples resolve present conflicts and improve their current circumstances.
- Relational life therapy: Traditional gender roles often get in the way of a relationship. Relational life therapy examines these roles and how they come into play in your life.
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT): Cognitive behavioral therapy works by helping each partner verbalize thoughts and beliefs that may be having a negative impact on the relationship. Couples can explore those thoughts and address them together.
Licensed couples therapists are also equipped to teach you distress tolerance skills and coping mechanisms to soften the impact of tough disagreements and frustrating situations. If you’re ready to make your relationship a priority, we’re here to help.
Schedule Relationship Counseling at Thriveworks in Vallejo, CA
Ready to schedule an appointment? At Thriveworks in Vallejo, CA, we make it easy.
Give our team a call or head over to our booking widget to schedule your first visit. We offer appointments during the week with extended hours in the evenings and on weekends. Once you’re signed up, you can ask your couples therapist question in between sessions or take advantage of our community discussion boards to connect with other couples in similar situations.
We accept most health insurance plans and even offer a choice between in-office visits and remote therapy appointments. Some couples find sessions via phone call or video chat to be preferable so they don’t have to worry about traffic or commuting. At the same time, others prefer visiting our office to work through their issues in a neutral setting.
Whichever method you prefer, you’ll get access to a suite of benefits including:
- Access to our Therapy Buddy app
- Billing and scheduling assistance via text message
- Educational videos
- Life coaching “Ask a Coach” with 24-hour responses
You can’t always predict the hurdles you’ll face as a couple but you can decide how to react. If you are facing a rocky road and can’t seem to find a solution on your own, the marriage and couples therapists at Thriveworks in Vallejo, CA can help you make it through. Call us to make an appointment today.