Grief Counseling Services in Troy, MI—Oakland Therapists and Counselors
When someone important to you passes away, it can make you feel heavy, heartbroken, and defeated. It can feel like your entire world just stopped and you are full of confusing emotions. These emotions might make it hard for you to resume your normal day to day life because the thought of not having them around anymore is too much to bear. While we understand that death is a part of life, it doesn’t mean we are always prepared for it. Grief can linger around as long as we live, making it hard to move on.
As far as I can see, grief will never truly end in this lifetime. It may become softer over time, more gentle, and some days will feel sharp. But grief will last as long as love does—forever. It’s simply the way the physical absence of your loved one manifests in your heart—a deep longing accompanied by the deepest love. Some days, the heavy fog may return, and the next day, it may recede once again. It’s all an ebb and flow, a constant dance of sorrow. –Lexi Behrndt
If you are grieving the loss of a loved one, job, or pet, consider working with a grief counselor at Thriveworks Troy in Oakland. Our licensed psychologists have the skills, training, and experience to guide you through your grief and offer the support you need during this difficult time. When you are ready, you can give us a call at (248) 764-4182 to get started.
What Are the 5 Stages of Grief?
When we lose someone close to us, the emotions we feel can be all over the place. However, there are five main stages of grief that we can experience. Here are each of those five stages and how they may affect you:
- Denial: The first stage is denial. This is characterized by confusion, avoidance, and fear. In this stage, you might deny the reality of what happened and feel like your loss didn’t actually happen.
- Anger: In the second stage, anger presents itself. You may feel an overwhelming sensation of frustration and irritation. This can also lead you to feel mad that your loved one “left you” or mad that you were fired from your job.
- Bargaining: This third stage is when you struggle to come to terms with what happened. This is an especially crucial time to need extra support from your friends and family.
- Depression: This stage can often time be the hardest. Depression can make you feel overwhelmed, helpless, and hostile. It can be difficult to pull yourself out of depression without the help of others.
- Acceptance: In the final stage of grieving, you will feel acceptance. This is when you begin to accept that your loved one is gone and are able to make peace with your loss.
How fast or how slow you move through the stages of grief depends on your personal emotions. There isn’t a “right way” to grieve. Some people experience all five stages, while others only experience some. However you grieve, we understand how hard it can be. Especially doing it alone. Here at Thriveworks Troy Counseling in Oakland, we can set you up with a licensed grief counselor who can help you accept your loss and move forward with your life.
Should I Go to Grief Therapy?
This is a good question! It all depends on how you feel and how overwhelmed you may be. When it comes to losing someone, sometimes we have to help plan a funeral or write an obituary. Maybe after losing a job, you need to spend time searching for new ones. Whether you just want some support in the emotions you are feeling, or you need help making big decisions, we’re here for you. Here are some of the following symptoms you may experience that could benefit from working with a grief counselor:
- Feelings of depression or anxiety
- A weak support system
- Avoidance of friends or family
- Sudden changes in behavior
- Lack of joy in everyday life
- Disregarding responsibilities
- Inability to move on after several months
You don’t have to only be experiencing the symptoms above to be able to benefit from the support of a grief counselor. There are many different emotions and no emotion is wrong. If you feel like you would benefit from the help of a grief counselor, reach out to our office today.
Schedule an Appointment with a Grief Counselor at Thriveworks Troy in Oakland
The grief counselors at Thriveworks Troy, MI are caring, experienced professionals who are ready to help you find peace and happiness. When you are ready, they’re here.
To schedule an appointment with one of our providers, you can do so online through our online booking portal or by calling (248) 764-4182 to be connected with a scheduling specialist. We offer extended hours and weekend hours to help you find a time that works best for you. In addition, if you have any questions about our services, we’d be happy to help you in any way we can.