Anxiety Therapy in Troy, MI—Oakland Counselors and Therapists
Kailen is a hairstylist who loves to help her clients feel more confident in themselves. She spends all day jumping from one client to the next and often feels overwhelmed with the amount of social interaction she has. Although she loves what she does for a living, the pressure of having to talk to people all day starts to wear her down. She also has a hard time making friends and will spend her free time at home or with the select people she doesn’t feel intimidated by. She wishes that she didn’t feel so anxious when having to talk to or meet new people. It would help with her career and going out to meet new people.
I have anxiety. And I’m treating my anxiety. I’m on medication for my anxiety. Why am I saying this? Because it’s a completely normal thing. More and more people should talk openly about it. –Anushka Sharma
If you are like Kailen and feel overwhelmed in social situations or can relate to the feelings she has in your own way, you might benefit from speaking to an anxiety therapist. Thriveworks Troy Counseling has anxiety therapists who can help you identify and overcome the feelings you have brought on by anxiety. There’s no reason why you should deal with extreme or excessive worry on your own. These professionals specialize in helping people understand and manage their symptoms. If you want to learn the tools to help you do just that, call Thriveworks Troy today (248) 764-4182.
Do I Have Anxiety? Signs and Symptoms
Some people suffer from anxiety daily, while others experience it every now and then when they have a trigger cause it. Anxiety can make us feel a variety of different ways. In some cases, like Kailen, you may feel overwhelmed and tired. Here is a more complete list of signs and symptoms of anxiety:
- Racing, uncontrollable thoughts
- Excessive, uncontrollable worry
- Excessive sweating
- Insomnia or other sleep issues
- Tightness in your chest
- Difficulty focusing
Some people may face only a few of these symptoms while others face most, if not all. These feelings can make you worrisome, in turn making your anxiety even worse. If you feel anxious on a daily basis or every now and then, you should talk to a professional about it. Anxiety therapists have the training and experience needed to appropriately help you cope with your thoughts. Our providers at Thriveworks Troy want to help you understand your triggers, how to manage your symptoms, and overall live a happier and healthier life.
5 Types of Common Anxiety Disorders
Although you may not feel anxious in the same way as Kailen when it comes to talking to people or being in a room full of chatter, you maybe can relate to the way she felt. Kailen suffers from Social Anxiety Disorder. This is just one of the few types of categories your anxiety could be in. The five common anxiety disorders explained are:
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder: This disorder is the most diverse and usually causes those who suffer from it to experience symptoms by everyday worry. This could be anything from running late, booking a flight, remembering everything at the grocery store, or completing your work on time. Those with this disorder might feel anxious even when there is no apparent cause or trigger. You might feel anxious even just watching TV.
- Social Anxiety Disorder: This is what Kailen feels. Social Anxiety Disorder is characterized by anxiety induced in social situations. People with this disorder might feel anxious in all social situations, such as saying hello in an elevator or attending a social gathering, or in specific cases like meeting someone for the first time.
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder: Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, or PTSD, is characterized by anxiety rooted in trauma. If you suffer from PTSD, your anxiety could be set off by specific triggers linked back to your trauma. Traumatic events include physical assault, emotional abuse, natural disaster, or serving in the military.
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder: Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) is described as recurrent, unwanted thoughts or actions that someone cannot avoid. This may include checking to make sure the front door is locked several times, counting numbers before you fall asleep, or wiping down your countertops until you feel they are as clean as they can get.
- Panic Disorder: Panic Disorder is characterized by intense fear accompanied by physical symptoms such as shortness of breath or a racing heart. If you have a panic attack induced by your disorder, you may mistake it for a heart attack, in turn making your anxiety worse.
No matter which disorder you suffer from, the anxiety therapists at Thriveworks Troy Counseling can help you deal with your thoughts and feelings while also providing you with the tools to manage these symptoms when you are on your own.
Schedule an Appointment with an Anxiety Therapist at Thriveworks Troy, MI
Are you struggling to find peace when dealing with anxiety? Do you wish you could control your thoughts so you can live happier and healthier? If so, consider working with an anxiety therapist. At Thriveworks Troy, we aim to help you achieve your goals and move forward from the grip that anxiety has on you. If you are ready to schedule an appointment, give us a call at (248) 764-4182 to be connected with a scheduling specialist. In addition, we have an online booking portal for you to easily access instead of reaching us by telephone. At Thriveworks, we have extended hours besides our regular daytime sessions to include evenings and weekends. When you are ready to take the next step, we’ll be here.