Susan is always feeling down. She can’t seem to find any joy or happiness in anything she does. She sees the worst-case scenario in everything and has little hope for the future. She has lost her appetite, has trouble sleeping, and has stopped seeing most of her friends.
Isolated, things seem to be growing worse. Susan thinks she’s just blue because she lost her job and that she will get over it but her friends think differently. They are concerned that Susan is suffering from depression. Susan wants to feel better but she doesn’t know how.
Depression is a common mood disorder that often goes undiagnosed and untreated. Millions of people experience persistent sadness, hopelessness, lack of energy, and other symptoms of depression that can make day-to-day life overwhelming.
Many who suffer from depression think they are just sad or down, or that they should “get over it” on their own. But depressive disorders are serious mental health conditions that can be treated and overcome with the guidance of a trained professional.
At Thriveworks in Thousand Oaks, CA, help is available. Our professional staff of trained and experienced mental health professionals can step in to help you manage your symptoms. We can meet with you, assess your situation, and create a customized treatment plan to help move you forward. Contact us today to start your road to recovery.
What Are Common Types and Symptoms of Depression?
Depression can look different for different people but there are a number of common depression symptoms. Some of them include:
- Overwhelming sadness, hopelessness, and despair
- Self-imposed isolation and/or acute loneliness
- Increased levels of anxiety
- An increase or loss in appetite
- A significant change in weight
- A lack of energy
- Substance abuse to cope with daily life
- Suicidal thoughts or thoughts of self-harm
If you are experiencing one or more of these symptoms, it may indicate that you are suffering from a depressive disorder. Different mood disorders can lead to different kinds of symptoms, for example:
- Major depressive disorder: Those with major depressive disorder often experience extreme sadness, tiredness, exhaustion, or lack of interest in daily activities for more than two weeks. Symptoms can range from mild to severe.
- Persistent depressive disorder: This disorder is typically characterized by symptoms similar to major depressive disorder though they can be less severe and can last for two years or more.
- Bipolar disorder: Bipolar disorder is characterized by moods that fluctuate from manic highs to depressive lows.
- Postpartum depression: This disorder is sometimes experienced by new mothers in the weeks and months following childbirth. Symptoms include sadness, exhaustion, and difficulty connecting emotionally to the new baby.
At Thriveworks in Thousand Oaks, CA we are ready to help you on the road to a brighter, happier life. Our staff of licensed mental health professionals is experienced in treating different forms of depression. Give us a call to schedule an appointment, either in-person or online, with one of our licensed professionals.
Can Depression Therapy Benefit Me?
When you choose to reach out for help and make an appointment, your Thriveworks provider will meet with you to assess your situation, goals, and concerns and will develop a treatment plan customized for you.
This treatment plan may include some kind of talk therapy such as cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), which involves examining certain thought patterns that may be negatively affecting your emotions, behaviors, and interactions. Other forms of therapy may include psychoanalysis, dialectical behavior therapy (DBT), and interpersonal therapy.
Treatment for mood disorders may also involve medication that can be prescribed for you and monitored by your Thriveworks provider.
When you do decide to take the first step on the road to recovery, the staff at Thriveworks in Thousand Oaks, CA is ready to help you on your road to recovery.
Meet With a Therapist at Thriveworks in Thousand Oaks, CA
If you are struggling with symptoms of depression, consider working with a counselor or therapist at Thriveworks in Thousand Oaks, CA. Our qualified, compassionate staff is skilled in treating depression and is ready to meet with you to begin your journey to a better life.
New clients often have the opportunity to meet with a provider within 24-48 hours.
We offer weekend and evening appointments and online counseling (by phone and video) and many different insurance plans are available. We also offer phone and email access to your provider in between sessions.
Our appointments start on time and our office opens early and stays open late. We have a flexible cancellation policy and will also give you a free e-copy of “Leaving Depression Behind.”
When you’re ready to leave depression behind, consider reaching out to us at Thriveworks in Thousand Oaks, CA. We are ready to help.