With the invention of the printing press, books took on an extended role in society, offering entertainment to the masses. Beloved for their beauty as well as their creativity, books have the power to change lives. They provide escapes into worlds filled with mythical beasts, daring protagonists, and lush landscapes unlike anything we’ve ever seen on Earth.
Human ingenuity is what makes a good book work. The human brain is capable of creating all sorts of wondrous things. But when our minds are filled with anxiety, stress, and other impediments, we can create monsters inside of our heads. Like the dragons that fill up the pages of so many fantasy books, we can create psychological beasts — so to speak — that wear us down in our day-to-day lives.
But every story has a resolution. And just like the characters in books undergo growth in the face of obstacles, so can you grow in the face of your mental and emotional challenges.
The trick is having a licensed professional in your corner. Psychiatrists, for example, are medical doctors with medical degrees who specialize in treating illnesses and disorders of the mind. They can diagnose, treat, and prevent mental and emotional illnesses using their years of expertise. With your commitment to recovery, they can guide you to overcome the challenges that are holding you back.
We know that facing your fears is difficult. But with our support and your courage, we can set you on the right path. Together, we can form goals and create practices that help you lead a more productive and joyful life.
Be the hero of your story. Team up with one of our online board-certified psychiatrists at Thriveworks in Thousand Oaks, CA to conquer your fears and move forward in life. It only takes one call to make an appointment.
Common Disorders Treated by Licensed Psychiatrists
There’s a saying that we’re more alike than we are different, and this rings true in the world of mental and emotional health. We may believe that no one else could possibly be undergoing the same types of psychological challenges we face, but the truth is that millions of people are dealing with disorders and illnesses that impact their lives.
Psychiatric care can help. Treatment is available for a number of mental illnesses and disorders including:
- Personality disorders that impact our perception of ourselves and the world around us. Examples include borderline personality disorder and avoidant personality disorder.
- Substance abuse of alcohol, drugs, and other legal or illegal substances that are consumed to achieve a high or avoid difficult feelings.
- Mood disorders that impact a person’s emotional state and often cause mood swings from emotional lows to extravagant highs. Examples include seasonal affective disorder, major depressive disorder, and bipolar disorder.
- Anxiety disorders which include excessive, enduring feelings of anxiousness or fear. Examples include phobias, social anxiety disorder, and panic disorder.
- Addictions, or the compulsive need to engage in a certain behavior or use a certain substance. Sex, shopping, and gambling are common addictions.
Psychiatric Next Steps and Treatment Plans
After years of attending medical school and learning about countless disorders and illnesses, your psychiatrist is ready to help you with your anxiety, mood disorder, or other mental health challenge.
Psychiatrists are trained professionals who have the ability to treat both mental and physical illnesses with a combination of therapy and medication. While your exact treatment plan will vary, providers typically do the following:
- Diagnose: Your provider will learn more about your behavioral, environmental, and family experiences to diagnose your illness or disorder.
- Treat: With the help of prescribed medication, therapy, and self-care recommendations, your provider will provide treatment that works to mitigate your illness. They may use psychoanalytic therapy, exposure therapy, or another form of therapy as part of your treatment.
- Prevent: Your provider will discuss tools and techniques you can use to prevent future challenges from overwhelming you. This can include grounding techniques, meditation, and other skills.
To schedule a session, call us at Thriveworks in Thousand Oaks, CA. We can get started whenever you’re ready.
Schedule an Appointment With a Board-Certified Psychiatrist
Your board-certified mental health provider is here to help you achieve your wellness goals. Using therapy and other forms of treatment, you’ll learn to work together to address your illness or disorder.
Our psychiatrists at Thriveworks can be seen remotely using video or phone. If you need to reach your provider outside of your scheduled appointment time, you can reach them via phone or email. We host a community discussion forum that is moderated by a counselor and we accept a variety of insurance options.
To begin the next chapter of your story and set up an appointment, give us a call today. Our team members in Thousand Oaks, CA are standing by.