Millions of people around the world suffer from a mental illness each year. In fact, the two most common mental illnesses, especially in the United States, are anxiety and depression. These two conditions often go hand in hand as they have overlapping signs and symptoms. With anxiety and depression being so common amongst the population, it’s important to understand and recognize what they entail so that way you can get professional help sooner rather than later. Consider these following scenarios:
- You and your ex recently broke up. They were emotionally abusive and controlling and instilled a lot of fear into you. Now every time you wear a certain color, you feel anxious being reprimanded because of the years of control.
- Work has been especially hard. With everything going on, it’s hard for you to focus and you feel emotionally numb. Your work starts to be affected because of it.
- You started volunteering at a local organization and a big event is coming up. You didn’t realize you signed up for something like this and you’re starting to feel anxious about being in a large crowd.
- Your family constantly makes you feel bad about the choices you make in your From the shoes you wear to the tattoo on your forearm, they think you’re on a path of destruction. The constant arguing makes you feel worthless.
Can you relate to any of these situations? If so, you might be battling anxiety and depression. These are serious mental illnesses that can benefit most from working with a trusted, dedicated mental health professional. At Thriveworks Counseling in Nottingham, our depression and anxiety therapists are readily available and ready to help you as soon as tomorrow. Managing difficult emotions can be extremely hard and overwhelming. Luckily, you don’t have to do it alone. Give us a call and let’s start this journey of healing together.
Diagnosing Anxiety and Depression: How Can You Tell the Difference?
Like described earlier, anxiety and depression are often unfortunate friends. You may have anxiety after a traumatic experience and later develop depression because of it. Or, you could be battling depression and develop anxiety when other areas of your life start falling behind. Regardless, it’s important to understand the difference between the two so you can recognize the feelings you have.
Depression can cause feelings of despair, emptiness, hopelessness, insomnia/hypersomnia, and lack of interest in activities and relationships that once brought you joy.
Anxiety can cause you to feel excessive worry, restlessness, shortness of breath, changes in sleeping patterns, and changes in appetite.
While those aren’t all of the symptoms, they are common. There are also different types of anxiety and depression, and your Thriveworks counselor in White Marsh can help you figure out what you may be specifically battling. Identifying this ensures the correct plan of treatment is taken. Different forms of each include:
- Depression: Major Depressive Disorder, Minor Depression, Persistent Depressive Disorder, Bipolar Disorder
- Anxiety: Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD), Social Anxiety Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder
What Can a Thriveworks Therapist Do for Me?
As briefly touched on, your Thriveworks Counseling therapist in Nottingham can help you identify root causes, manage difficult emotions, and overcome these mental health conditions. To do so, they will first sit down with you to understand what your challenges are and what you want to accomplish through therapy. Then, based on your discussion, they will craft a treatment plan that addresses your unique needs and goals. During therapy, they will offer you the tools and techniques that you can use to overcome the things holding you back.
If you are experiencing symptoms of anxiety or depression, it’s important that you talk to a professional. They can screen your symptoms and offer an accurate diagnosis. Our goal is to help guide and support you through these concerns and be a partner in your success.
Schedule Depression or Anxiety Therapy at Thriveworks Counseling in Nottingham, MD
Thriveworks Counseling in Nottingham is dedicated to helping clients achieve greater overall happiness and success. We are client-focused and will put you and your needs first. To do that, we offer our clients competitive benefits and well-rounded care that can’t be beaten. Getting the help you need, when you need it, is crucial in your road to healthier living. That’s why we ensure that our first-time clients can get into an appointment with a therapist within 24 hours of their initial call. We also offer flexible scheduling, online counseling, and no waitlist.
To get started, give our office a call at (410) 698-4142 or visit our convenient online booking portal. We’d love to be partners in your mental health journey. We look forward to hearing from you so you can start to thrive!