Depression Therapy in North Charleston, SC—Depression Therapists, Psychologists
Did you know that millions of people in the US—16 million to be more approximate—struggle with major depression every year? Additionally, did you know that millions of people worldwide—350 million people to be more approximate—suffer with depression each year? These are real statistics. Thought depression can feel like a lonely, hopeless disease, you are in good company and your future is bright. Fortunately, depression is highly treatable. It’s a mere matter of recognizing that you’re struggling and reaching out for that essential help and support.
“Mental pain is less dramatic than physical pain, but it is more common and also more hard to bear. The frequent attempt to conceal mental pain increases the burden: it is easier to say, ‘My tooth is aching,’ than to say, ‘My heart is broken.’” –C.S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain
Depression can be extremely frightening, even confusing, especially when you first start to develop symptoms. The good news is that you can learn to manage these symptoms, work to understand why you feel depressed, and ultimately find your way to happiness again. If you’re experiencing depression symptoms and recognize the need or benefit of getting help, reach out to Thriveworks North Charleston, SC depression experts. We have depression therapists, counselors, and psychologists on our team who are more than capable of helping and supporting you.
Thriveworks North Charleston can offer you a next-day appointment. Additionally, we have online counseling therapy opportunities available. Call us today to schedule your first depression appointment with one of our depression experts.
Depression Symptoms: What Are They? What Does It Feel like?
As with most mental illnesses, depression can vary greatly from person to person. It can vary in severity as well as symptom presentation and cause. That said, there is a comprehensive list of symptoms that do commonly accompany depression. In fact, to be diagnosed with depression, you must experience a combination of the following in the same two-week period:
- Depressed mood more days than not, as demonstrated by sadness and/or hopelessness
- Lack of interest or pleasure in day to day activities
- Changes in weight or appetite that prove significant
- Trouble staying or falling asleep
- Fatigue or significant loss in energy
- Self-perceived worthlessness
- Irritable mood
- Difficult concentrating
- Suicidal thoughts
If you think you’re exhibiting a combination of the above symptoms, be sure to talk to your primary health care provider and get set up with a mental health professional. If you are in the North Charleston area, a Thriveworks North Charleston depression therapist, counselor, or psychologist can help you today!
Causes of Depression: Why Do I Feel Depressed?
The cause of depression also varies on a personal basis. For example, one might feel depressed after the loss of a loved one or a breakup. Another individual might feel depressed for no obvious reason. We’ll break down common causes and relevant factors below:
- Environmental causes: One’s environment can cause or contribute to the development of depression. For example, if one is surrounded by negativity or witnesses a traumatic event, they might enter a downward spiral and begin to experience depression symptoms.
- Genetics: An individual’s genetics can also contribute to the development of depression. In other words, if depression runs in your family, you’re likely at a greater risk of developing this illness.
- Temperament: One’s temperament can also affect the development of depression. For example, if someone’s negative affectivity is poor (or they don’t cope well with difficult emotions) they might be at a higher risk for depression.
Remember: The cause of depression can vary, and sometimes there is no clear cause. That’s okay because it’s more important that you pay attention to your symptoms and work with a qualified, caring professional. Thriveworks North Charleston has many skilled, caring professionals on our team, all of whom would be honored to assist you on your mental health journey.
Work with a Depression Therapist at Thriveworks North Charleston, SC
Are you looking to work with a depression therapist or psychologist? You’ve come to the right place. Thriveworks Charleston, SC has depression experts on staff who are eager to help you. In fact, they can help you as soon as today or tomorrow in onsite counseling or online counseling therapy—it’s your choice!
We are happy to develop an individualized treatment plan that suits your needs. If you’re ready to manage your depression, better understand your condition, and find your way toward happier living, call Thriveworks North Charleston today.