When you and your partner begin premarital counseling, your counselor will want to get to know you both as well as your relationship. In order to accomplish this, they will ask questions around the following:
- Common interests and activities
- Marital expectations
- Budget and Finance
- Children and parenting
If there is a particular area that they feel needs to be explored further (for example, you note that you and your partner have very different spending habits and views on money), they’ll guide the conversation in the given direction.
Generally speaking, Thriveworks premarital counseling in Midlothian typically lasts for 8-10 weeks. This, however, can vary depending on the counselor’s approach as well as the clients’ preferences and needs. For example, some couples might request additional sessions to work through problem areas that they’ve identified in their relationship, pre-wedding.
Your engagement is meant to be a happy, exciting time. However, that does not mean that you should slack off on your relationship now. In fact, you and your partner could benefit from putting a little extra work in at premarital counseling. Premarital counseling is a type of therapy that helps couples to prepare for marriage. It is led my licensed therapists who have specific knowledge, skills, and training in relationship improvement, and it has helped millions of couples strengthen their relationship.
“I vow to help you love life, to always hold you with tenderness and to have the patience that love demands, to speak when words are needed and to share the silence when they are not, and to live within the warmth of your heart and always call it home.” –The Vow
If you and your partner are newly engaged, or talking about the possibility of marriage, think about attending premarital counseling at Thriveworks Midlothian. Our premarital counselors are skilled, caring providers, and they’re ready to help you make life-changing improvements in your relationship. To schedule an appointment, simply give Thriveworks Midlothian a call at (804) 799-7944. We’ll set you up with a premarital counselor at your earliest convenience.
Can My Relationship Benefit from Premarital Counseling? How?
Premarital counseling can help couples in a variety of ways. First and foremost, it helps couples who have decided to tie the knot to best prepare for marriage. That said, it can also help couples who are considering the possibility of marriage in the future. Here are a few benefits of premarital counseling that you and your partner can look forward to:
- Conflict resolution: It’s easy to get frustrated with the ones we love, especially when important topics like money, parenting, and sex are on the table. A premarital counselor can help you and your partner to prepare for conversations about these hot topics. Learning effective conflict resolution skills can prevent these conversations from escalating into greater conflicts.
- Talking about your future: If you and your partner are preparing for marriage or talking about the possibility, it’s important that you’re on the same page in terms of where you want your relationship to be two or three years down the road. Do you two agree on what you want your future to look like? Do you want kids? Are you staying put in your hometown? A premarital counselor can guide these important conversations.
- Starting a clean slate: It’s important for you and your partner to work through the problems that arise in your relationship without carrying resentment toward each other. A premarital counselor can help you let go of any resentments you might be carrying around with you before you marry.
- Working through fears and concerns: Many people have reservations about marriage. They harbor fears or concerns about it, due to their parents or other family members divorcing. If you or your partner are struggling with these fears and concerns, a premarital counselor can help you work through them and decide if marriage is right for you.
Premarital counseling at Thriveworks Midlothian aims to help couples build the very best foundation for marriage and forever together. These counselors are experts on accomplishing this very mission, and they want to help you, just as they have many other couples.
Schedule Premarital Counseling at Thriveworks Midlothian
Are you newly engaged? First of all, congratulations. Second of all, we want to help you prepare your relationship for this amazing change. Consider working with a premarital counselor at Thriveworks Midlothian. These experts have an impressive number of skills and have completed extensive training to offer you premarital counseling services.
If you are interested in the benefits of premarital counseling, reach out to Thriveworks Midlothian. Give us a call at (804) 799-7944 to schedule your appointment. A scheduling specialist will help you find a time that works for both you and your partner. We offer flexible options, including evenings and weekends, for this very reason.
We look forward to hearing from you soon and helping you strengthen the foundation of your relationship to best prepare for marriage.