Depression Therapy and Anxiety Therapy in McLean, VA—Fairfax Therapists and Counselors
Anxiety and depression are two of the most common mental health issues in the United States, affecting a combined total of almost one quarter of the adult population 18 and older. While dealing with one issue may be challenging, it’s not uncommon for someone to face both at the same time. In fact, approximately half of those diagnosed with an anxiety disorder are also dealing with major depression. Dealing with depression and anxiety at the together may make the symptoms from each condition worse and recovery that much more difficult.
Though anxiety and depression are issues with the mind, they may also affect the body. Some of the symptoms of depression and anxiety include:
- Feeling Weak or Lethargic – Feeling tired and run down is a common feeling in those dealing with depression and anxiety. This ‘drained’ feeling is typically accompanied with a slowing down when speaking and moving.
- Trouble Sleeping – Having trouble falling asleep and staying asleep is common for both depression and anxiety. The challenge is dealing with a brain that simply won’t shut off and let you relax.
- Chronic Stomach Complaints – The digestive system is more sensitive than we think, especially to psychological stress. When dealing with depression and anxiety, you may experience problems like bloating, gas, constipation and/or diarrhea.
- Changes in Appetite – One common challenge with depression and anxiety is the desire to eat as a way to soothe feelings and calm yourself. However, be aware that loss of appetite and eating too little may also occur.
- Indecision – Depression and anxiety provide a particularly tough one-two punch when it comes to making decisions. Depression can slow your ability to make think, while anxiety can cause you to ‘freeze’ when comparing too many options dealing with your choices.
- Trouble Concentrating – Persistent, intrusive negative thoughts can slow down your thinking. This constant distraction prevents someone from focusing on any one thing for very long, making even simple tasks hard to complete.
Treating Depression and Anxiety
Though anxiety and depression are daunting, don’t give up hope. Research has shown that counseling can be very effective in treating people with both conditions. Of course, counselors like those at Thriveworks McLean know that there is no one treatment that fits everyone. When you work with one of our therapists, they will develop a customized plan specifically for you. The timeline for how quickly you respond will vary based on how complex your condition. Some people respond quickly and can see improvements in only a few weeks. For others, more patience is required since it may take months to start feeling better.
Thriveworks has Experienced Counselors Available in Fairfax
Thriveworks counselors in McLean, VA offer a unique blend of qualifications to help you. Foremost is their compassion and desire to see you improve. They understand the challenges you’re facing. Coupled with this, our therapists have the education, training, and experience to know how to develop an individualized plan for you, a roadmap that will help guide you from where you are to where you want to be.
Thriveworks is Here to Help
If you live in the McLean or Fairfax, VA area and you want to overcome your anxiety and depression, Thriveworks Counselors and Psychologists are ready to help. We want you to enjoy your life again. Call us today to make your first appointment. You are not alone. We are available for you.