Anger Management Counseling in McLean, VA—Counselors and Therapists
Does your anger consume you? Are your fists constantly clenched? Are you always gritting your teeth? Many people don’t know how to handle their anger in a healthy way. They feel mad and as if they need to let it out, but don’t know how to do so properly. Even after they let it out, they still feel their blood boiling. Most people think that their own remedies will allow them to let go of the anger on their own, when in reality, it can be hard to rid yourself of that fiery feeling—especially if you don’t know the underlying reason behind all of your anger. At Thriveworks McLean, we are trained in helping our clients understand the root cause of their struggles with anger. We understand that when left untreated, anger can lead to serious consequences in every aspect of your life. And so, we work with each client to identify the cause of their anger and equip them with tools to better manage anger. If you struggle to manage your anger in a healthy way, consider working with one of our professionals.
Who Needs Anger Management Help?
If you have a loved one that gets mad and stays mad, and you don’t know what to do to help, it can be devastating. Here are some signs and symptoms of someone struggling with anger management:
- Feeling hot around the neck and face
- Stronger-than-normal and/or more rapid heart rate
- Shaking or trembling
- Clenching of the jaw or grinding/gritting of teeth
- Excessive sweating, especially in the palms of their hands
Whenever your body reacts in this type of manner, your anger is not being managed properly. Improper anger management can endanger others and damage relationships at school, work, in the home, and elsewhere. Therefore, it’s important that you acknowledge these signs and get the anger management help you need as soon as possible.
Causes of Uncontrollable Anger
There are many occurrences that can cause anger for someone. Maybe you’ve received your third parking ticket this month, or your significant other has been laid off—or maybe it’s something of a lesser degree such as stubbing your toe or spilling coffee on your shirt. Different things strike us and can make us angry, however, not all of us handle our anger well. Our response to anger is all tied up in our individual experiences across a lifetime. What makes one person angry may not faze another. In many cases, there are underlying causes for triggers. No matter what the cause is, an anger counselor is the best solution for out-of-control anger.
Better Manage Your Anger: 5 Tips
When you or your loved one decides it’s time to seek anger management help, counseling is a great place to start. In the meanwhile, here are some effective methods you can try on your own:
- When you feel anger welling up inside, breathe deeply while repeating a calming word or phrase over and over, like “relax.” Keep repeating this process until the anger subsides.
- Exercise routinely to “burn off” steam and diffuse pent-up anger while benefitting your body and mind. Practices like yoga will help, along with activities like walking, weightlifting, martial arts, etc.
- Keep a daily log documenting your angry feelings and why they are there. Also, use your record-keeping to track progress and reward good behavior.
- Develop and practice good listening skills. Put yourself in the other person’s “shoes” and learn to see situations better from their perspective.
- Avoid alcohol or illicit drugs that might lower your inhibitions and allow anger to rise.
Call Thriveworks McLean Today for Anger Management Help
Learning how to monitor and control your anger management can be crucial in your path toward a healthier, happier life. When you can release some of that fiery feeling inside of you, you will feel lighter, less frustrated, and overall healthier. At Thriveworks McLean, we want to help you. Call us today to schedule your first appointment—we have a no waiting list policy and accept a large number of insurance plans to be sure you get the help you need. We’re ready when you are. So, give us a call today at (571) 589-4042.