Trish and her daughter, Clara, have been at odds for months. After a particularly tense holiday visit to her daughter’s house, they both feel disconnected from each other. When her mom had visited, Clara confronted her angrily, sharing years of bottled-up resentment. According to Clara, Trish had done a poor job listening and allowing her to be herself; and Clara had been hurt and offended by many actions that Trish had unknowingly done.
Now that she’s had some time to think, Trish knows that she wants to preserve her relationship with her daughter, but feels like they might need help to get back on the same page. Trish’s brother recently started therapy and suggested to Trish that she and her daughter try to connect with a family counselor. Even though she’s nervous about losing her relationship with Clara, Trish knows that having the insight of a mental health professional could provide them with the tools they need to heal.
Families all experience ups and downs. As with any relationship, familial ties require a time commitment, as well as patience and empathy. When these close connections are in balance, then we enjoy the trust, companionship, and support that come from being close with our relatives. But when we start to experience a souring of these relationships, it can be hard to stabilize our own mental health. That’s why connecting with a mental health professional at Thriveworks in Edmond, OK can be a great resource to families who are experiencing interpersonal challenges. The support and assistance of a family therapist can help you all to find common ground and a newfound appreciation for the bond that you share.
What Is Family Counseling?
Similar to individual counseling, family counseling is a type of group therapy that involves relatives attending sessions together in order to resolve the distance between them. Though there’s no universal way to determine whether a family needs professional assistance, there are common signs and warnings that indicate that negative dynamics are in play, like:
- Communication skills that aren’t fully developed, resulting in constant arguments and bickering
- Residual anger or resentment between relatives over perceived wrongs or shortcomings
- Undiagnosed behavioral issues
- Stress from caring for a disabled or elderly member
- Deaths within the family that have occurred without time to process the event
- One or more family members struggling with PTSD
- Addiction to drugs or alcohol in response to stress
- Untreated or potentially undiagnosed mental illness or disorders that family members are suffering from, like ADHD or depression
These are just some of the common challenges that our family counselors help their clients work through. Keep in mind that each family is unique and might find that their situation is different. When beginning therapy, some relatives might be resistant and hostile to the idea of talking with a counselor. This is common, but it’s better when all family members are on the same page and committed to open communication with their shared mental health professional.
Do Family Therapists Take Sides? How Can They Help?
The family counselors at Thriveworks in Edmond, OK aren’t interested in choosing sides between you and your relatives, and they aren’t going to try and separate you from each other. Instead, they work to promote better understanding and empathy between relatives. Partnering with one of our providers is a great way to:
- Take advantage of a counselor’s presence—a neutral third party that allows for more balanced dialogue and candid discussion
- Create stronger boundaries of respect and encourage compromise
- Get treatment for previously undiagnosed mental illness
- Strengthen your relationship with your loved ones by utilizing a safe space for each of you to speak candidly about your experience
- Foster compassion and encourage compromise towards one another
- Improve your communication skills and become a better listener
And with the ease and convenience of online family counseling, you can all stay connected no matter how far apart you are. Whether you’re traveling, working odd hours, or limited by your mobility or obligations, online family counseling makes prioritizing your family even easier. Plus, our counselors follow the same APA and HIPAA regulations virtually as they do in our in-person sessions. Rest assured that your private information is secure and confidential.
Call Thriveworks in Edmond, OK to Schedule Your Family Therapy Session
Getting the professional assistance you and your loved ones need has never been easier. At Thriveworks in Edmond, OK, our family counseling team is ready to help your family get back on the right track and to experience the difference that counseling can make. When you do call, you’ll be assisted by our scheduling specialists, who are there seven days a week. With their help, you can easily find a provider (even if there’s no one nearby), add or adjust your insurance to cover costs, or book a session in-person or virtually.
In addition, enrolling with us opens up the door to a wide variety of exclusive benefits, like:
- Our Q/A chat line: Ask a Thriveworks life coach all of your questions that can’t wait till the next session
- No waitlist
- Weekend and evening session availability
- Email contact with your provider in-between sessions
- Flexible canceling and rescheduling
Family counseling with Thriveworks in Edmond, OK offers relatives the opportunity to start healing and to close long-standing divisions. Commit to better mental health—reach out to our Edmond, OK office to get started.