Do you ever feel like you’re sleepwalking through life with no real idea of what you want? Perhaps you know exactly what you want to achieve, but have no idea how to get there.
That’s where goal setting comes in. Goals are the first step towards planning for the future and play a fundamental role in the development of skills in various facets of life, from work to relationships and everything in between. They are the target at which we aim our proverbial arrow. Understanding the importance of goals and the techniques involved in setting achievable goals paves the way for success. In the words of Pablo Picasso:
“Our goals can only be reached through a vehicle of a plan, in which we must fervently believe, and upon which we must vigorously act. There is no other route to success.”
Why Set Goals? If accomplishing a life dream was easy, everyone would do it. However, a lot of people know what it is like to come up short—to want to achieve but fail.
Setting goals, especially the right kind of goals, can help by…
- Focusing your attention on what is important
- Providing motivation
- Refocusing & aligning behavior
- Sustaining momentum through challenges & setbacks
- Triggering self-control
Remember your Target!
When most people heard the words “goal setting,” they likely think of some task they know they should do but do not want to: eating vegetables, making the bed, flossing teeth, and so on. However, one of the tips for success is to prioritize fun. The point of setting a goal is not to be miserable; it is to keep what people value, love, and enjoy at the forefront of their attention.
A few examples of goals that people might set include:
- Career:What kind of job do you want to do?
- Financial:What do you want to earn, and what kind of life do you want to sustain?
- Pleasurable:What do you enjoy in life? What is fun for you?
- Educational:Is there something you want to learn or explore?
- Familial:What kind of familial relationships do you want to cultivate? With your parents, siblings, spouse, children, extended family, et cetera?
- Artistic:Is there an artistic or musical skill you want to learn or practice?
- Attitude:What kind of person you want to be? More patient? More caring? More self-assured?
- Physical:What level of health would you like to enjoy?
Let Thriveworks in Wilmington, NC help you reach your Goals! Call today (910) 247-4818.
Is there something you want to achieve in life? Do you want to learn to play a musical instrument? Earn a higher wage? Go back to school? Maybe you just want more—more focus, more purpose, and more self-control over how you spend your time. If you are ready to speak to a mental health professional about setting and achieving a goal, the counselors at Thriveworks Counseling and Coaching in Wilmington are eager to help you reach your goals! (910) 247-4818