Do you and your spouse ever struggle to connect? Are you always arguing about nonsense? Is there room for improvement? If the answer is yes, to any of the above, couples counseling can help. Couples counseling at Thriveworks Washington, DC (Metro Center) is led by skilled, caring professionals. They are experts on relationships and they are ready to help you make important strides toward a happier, healthier dynamic.
“Couples counseling gets many couples back together. But not all, and not always. For your own sake and that of your children, however, I recommend it—I almost insist on it—as the first step for anyone unhappy in a relationship.” –Laura Wasser
If you and your partner (or spouse) no longer feel that spark, you argue constantly, or you just don’t maintain a “perfect” relationship, you may think that it’s time to call it quits. But the reality is that there are steps you can take to improve your relationship tenfold. Thriveworks Washington, DC is here to help you make these improvements and move forward together.
How Does Couples Counseling Work?
Your Thriveworks Washington, DC couples counselor will ask you and your partner about your needs and goals for couples counseling. Then, they will work to customize a treatment plan that’s right for you.
One benefit is that your provider can offer helpful tips and tools for building a better relationship. For example, they might offer the following tips to implement and save your relationship:
- Learn how to communicate: One of the most common reasons relationships break down is due to a failure to communicate. When you’re both shut down your options to rebuild a relationship are slim to none. Open up, discuss the issues with your partner. It’s important that you’re honest and that you allow your spouse to be honest as well.
- Move into action: Discussing your problems is part of the equation but it’s not enough in and of itself. Don’t stop when you start to feel better. Come up with solutions and a clear plan for actions you can take to deal with the issues you’ve uncovered.
- Keep your expectations in check: It’s not reasonable to expect that you’ll repair your relationship overnight. It’s common to take a step back for every step forward you take. Work hard not to be discouraged. Keep on the right path and it will get both easier and better.
- Stay on the right track: When you start to see improvement remember that you must still continue to work. Resolving some of your problems will bring relief but keep in mind that not talking about what was going on is part of the reason you got into this situation in the first place. Stay proactive and deal with problems as they arise.
- Keep a positive attitude: You do need to discuss the issues in your relationship but you should also discuss what you love about your marriage or relationship. Don’t focus solely on what isn’t working—take the time to talk about what you appreciate about each other. This simple step will make it easier to get things back on the right track.
Your Thriveworks Washington, D.C. couples counselor will guide you on the important journey to a happier and more fulfilling relationship. Their skills, training, and experience will enable them to empower you in your unique relationship.
Work with a Couples Counselor at Thriveworks Washington, DC
As you work to save your relationship or marriage, you must work together. If one of you feels that you’re doing most of the work then they’ll become overwhelmed. Be open to talking things through together and stay on track as you begin to make progress. Remember why you want to stay together.
If you are ready to schedule an appointment, give Thriveworks Washington, DC (Metro Station) a call at (202) 221-8410. We are ready to help you when you’re ready to get started!