The psychiatrist Elisabeth Kübler-Ross once stated, “People are like stained-glass windows. They sparkle and shine when the sun is out, but when the darkness sets in their true beauty is revealed only if there is light from within.” Though our culture has come a long way in reducing the stigma surrounding mental health conditions, those who are suffering sometimes feel pressured to be “mentally tough” even when their emotions and behaviors feel out of their control. People who don’t face their distress and ask for help often have a much harder time recovering from crises. Fortunately, mental health conditions are highly treatable. And treatment can give people a rewarding glimpse into their own minds–the light from within.
The licensed psychiatrists at Thriveworks in Kingwood, TX have the compassion, expertise, and experience to support people in the Houston area. Mental health conditions can limit your achievements and disrupt daily functioning. But with the proper psychiatric care, people can learn to manage their symptoms and get back to living their best life without interference.
What Does a Psychiatrist Do?
Psychiatry is the branch of medicine that deals with the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of mental health conditions. At Thriveworks in Kingwood, TX, psychiatrists can assess clients for a wide variety of psychological and behavioral issues, including the following:
- Panic disorder
- Post-traumatic stress syndrome (PTSD)
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Bipolar disorder (manic depression)
- Post-traumatic stress syndrome (PTSD)
- Obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Personality disorders
- Specific phobias
- Anorexia and bulimia
- Behavioral problems
Psychiatrists often use the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) as a guide to exploring complex symptoms and figuring out the most effective ways to treat mental health conditions.
Are Psychiatrists Primary Care Doctors?
Psychiatrists are not generally considered primary care doctors because their expertise is more specialized. Psychiatrists can, however, prescribe medications to clients who might benefit from pharmacological interventions. After all, they are medical doctors (MDs) who graduated from medical school. The licensed psychiatrists at Thriveworks in Kingwood, TX use a range of diagnostic tools to treat their clients. At an initial, lengthy consultation, a psychiatrist and a client might do the following:
- Discuss therapy goals
- Discuss cognitive and behavioral symptoms
- Talk comprehensively about mental health conditions and psychoeducate the client where information is lacking
- Bring up lifestyle questions about substance use, diet, exercise, sleep, etc.
- Take a full medical history
- Conduct psychological tests
- Take a family medical history to explore genetic factors that might contribute to mental health
- Evaluate the client’s core relationships, support system, and home life (psychosocial evaluation)
How Does a Psychiatrist Treat Anxiety?
Treatment plans for specific mental health conditions can vary widely depending on client feedback, the psychiatrist’s therapeutic approach, and the severity of the client’s symptoms. To treat anxiety, a psychiatrist at Thriveworks in Kingwood, TX will first do a full evaluation of the client. Then the psychiatrist and client will work on developing a treatment plan together. For someone with moderate anxiety, a psychiatrist might recommend trying any of the following approaches:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Medication treatment
- Talk therapy
- Medication and psychotherapy combined
- Lifestyle changes, like increased exercise
- Psychosocial interventions
- Holistic approaches like mindfulness or meditation
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing therapy (EMDR)
- Referral to a social worker or long term counselor
- Referral to a licensed marriage and family therapist (LMFT)
Meet an Exceptional Psychiatrist at Thriveworks in Kingwood, TX
The psychiatrists at Thriveworks in Kingwood, TX are all fully licensed, highly qualified, and recruited from the top 4% of mental health providers in the Houston area. Thriveworks hires psychiatrists who are compassionate, responsive, and genuinely motivated to help clients achieve their objectives.
When you call the Thriveworks office, you can schedule an appointment quickly. Most new clients can meet with a psychiatrist within 24-48 hours of their initial call. Clients can access their Thriveworks provider by phone or email between appointments. Psychiatry sessions take place via secure, HIPAA-compliant telehealth software that enables clients to see their doctor face to face in a way that’s both comfortable and convenient. Thriveworks psychiatrists accept most major forms of health insurance, leading to exceptional coverage and affordability.
Don’t hesitate to ask for help when you’re experiencing a mental health condition. Everyone deserves exceptional health care. Call Thriveworks today.