The author Nelson DeMille once stated, “Somehow our devils are never quite what we expect when we meet them face to face.” People with anxiety may rationally know this to be true, but when you’re anxious in the moment, harmless situations might seem to pose a life-or-death threat. The overwhelming fears and worries that come with anxiety can rob daily life of pleasure and interfere with normal functioning. Eventually all the stress can take a harsh toll on your mind and body. Humans just aren’t meant to thrive in fight-or-flight mode 24/7.
Fortunately, anxiety is highly treatable. The top-rated anxiety therapists at Thriveworks in Kingwood, TX have the experience and the expert resources to treat anxiety of all types. If you find yourself feeling anxious more often than not and it’s starting to affect your happiness, Thriveworks can help.
Is Anxiety Disorder a Mental Health Condition?
Anxiety is a normal part of a human’s emotional repertoire. For the purposes of diagnosis and treatment, extreme anxiety is labeled as a disorder in the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM), used by psychiatrists. Anxiety is a mental health condition characterized by acute worries and forecasting of the future. At Thriveworks in Kingwood, TX, mental health providers have experience treating the different types of anxiety disorders, including the following:
- Social anxiety disorder
- Generalized anxiety disorder (GAD)
- Specific phobias
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
- Panic disorder
- Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Separation anxiety disorder
- Medication-induced anxiety disorder
- Selective mutism
Anxiety disorders can often occur together with other mental health conditions like depression and substance abuse. A Thriveworks anxiety therapist will take comorbidities into account when they evaluate a new client’s symptoms and begin the process of treating anxiety disorders.
How Therapists Help with Anxiety
Therapists use a variety of evidence-based, effective treatments to reduce anxiety, teach coping skills, and even eliminate excessive anxiety altogether. Anxiety treatment plans at Thriveworks in Kingwood, TX may include any of the following approaches:
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Exposure therapy, particularly for phobias or fears of an object or situation
- Psychodynamic therapy
- Psychiatric medications like antidepressants, prescribed by a Thriveworks psychiatrist, which can treat underlying medical conditions that can contribute to anxiety
- Holistic methods like meditation and deep breathing
- Mindfulness therapy
- Supportive-expressive therapy
- Substance abuse counseling
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing therapy (EMDR)
- Lifestyle modifications like increased exercise, improved nutrition, and reduced caffeine
- Family therapy or couples counseling to address relationships affected by anxiety
Treatment for Panic Attacks
Panic attacks, a characteristic of panic disorder, can be extremely scary. To the person experiencing a panic attack, it might feel as though they’re dying or having a heart attack. They’re often hyperventilating, sweaty, dizzy, faint, and nauseated. Some people even rush to the emergency room for cardiac treatment. But though their symptoms are physical, the origin of the symptoms is psychological.
If you’re having a panic attack, experts recommend taking the following steps:
- Breathe deeply, then exhale while counting. This can communicate to your mind that you’re safe.
- Bring what’s happening into conscious awareness. Tell yourself that you’re having a panic attack, not dying.
- Find a focus object or use the 3 3 3 rule for mindfulness. To engage your senses, identify three things in your immediate environment that you can smell, three things that you can touch, and three things that you can hear.
- Repeat a soothing mantra.
The Potential Consequences of Untreated Anxiety
When you leave anxiety untreated, you run the risk of long-term health problems like a compromised immune system. In fact, many people with anxiety first present with symptoms at their primary care doctor’s office. This is because anxiety can manifest as gastrointestinal conditions like irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), headaches, migraines, and other physical ailments. The human body does not want to be stressed around the clock. Constant vigilance can adversely affect the body’s production of cortisol, a key stress hormone.
When you call the Thriveworks office you can book an initial session quickly. Most clients can meet their provider within 24-48 hours of their initial call.
Get Top-Rated Anxiety Therapy at Thriveworks in Kingwood, TX
Thriveworks in Kingwood, TX recruits anxiety therapists from the top 4% of mental health providers in the Houston, TX area. This means that all the providers at Thriveworks are fully licensed and highly qualified to help clients manage and overcome their anxiety. Thriveworks therapists accept most major forms of health insurance and offer affordable self-pay rates to clients who are paying out-of-pocket.
Anxiety therapy can take place in the modern office in Kingwood, or virtually via online counseling. Whether you choose a traditional therapy session or a telehealth session, you will receive the same exceptional quality of support. Additionally, Thriveworks clients can access their providers by phone or email between sessions.
Don’t live your life regretting all the moments you missed out on because you were scared or worried. Find help for your anxiety today at Thriveworks.