Child Therapists in Norwalk, CT—Therapy for Kids
Growing up is not always a walk in the park. Especially today with the added pressure of social media and online gaming platforms, kids can have a hard time feeling accepted. Although some children still experience bullying at school, on sports teams, and more, cyberbullying has become much more prevalent. As much as parents would like to protect their kids from the evil of the world, it’s not always easy. Especially when they will not open up.
We all need advice growing up and facing the big stuff life gives us.
We all need the voice of a parent or a good friend who has lived
through joy and suffering and has thought deeply about it.”
Whether they are dealing with their parent’s divorce, coping with a physical disability, or have a hard time adjusting to a new school, we understand how important it is to help children learn how to better process their emotions. The child therapists and psychologists at Thriveworks Counseling in Norwalk, CT have the tools and abilities to help your children process what they are feeling. If you believe that your child or teenager could benefit from speaking with a counselor, give our office a call to schedule their first appointment. You can reach us at (203) 433-3563.
What Is Child Therapy?
During childhood and adolescence, we are still learning how to navigate life. The ability to comprehend emotions isn’t as easy for children as it is adults. Life experiences help us along the way, however, sometimes kids need a little extra help. Fortunately, child therapy is a great option to help kids do so. Child therapy is customized to meet their individualized needs. At Thriveworks Counseling, a psychologist can help you kid or teen with:
- Depression and anxiety
- Disruptive behavior in school
- Major life changes such as moving to a new school or divorce
- Trouble with bullying
- Coping with the loss of a loved one
- Eating disorders
- Difficulties with friends
- ADD/ADHD concerns
- Dealing with learning disabilities such as dyslexia
- Addictions to drugs or alcohol
- Emotional problems
- Traumatic events
This is not a complete list of challenges that we help kids face. Don’t worry if you didn’t see your concern! Our psychologists are equipped to help with a multitude of mental health issues. In addition, you may not know what your child is going through that that is okay, too. We can help you discover what your child is facing.
Techniques Used in Child Therapy
As mentioned previously, children process their emotions differently than adults. Because of this, the field of child therapy has developed many different techniques that can be used to connect with your child on a deeper level. Some ways may seem silly to an adult, like playing with dolls to show your emotions, but they really help us better understand a child’s mind. Here are several different techniques that a clinician may use based on what works best for your child:
- Behavior modification techniques
- Play therapy
- Narrative therapy
- Relaxation methods
- Cognitive and behavioral therapy
- Teaching coping mechanisms
- Art therapy
- Identification and treatment of underlying medical issues
- Identification and treatment of underlying psychological issues
All ages are welcome in child counseling. This includes toddlers, grade-school children, adolescents, and teens! No matter their age, our Thriveworks team of psychologists will work through different techniques like the ones listed above in order to best connect with your child on a more meaningful level. They step in to help prevent young children and teens from experiencing negative effects on their developmental growth caused by some of the factors mentioned before. Understanding when your child could benefit from child therapy isn’t always clear. However, it can’t hurt to seek professional help when you feel like you have done everything you can.
Work with a Child Therapist at Thriveworks in Norwalk
Our overall goal when it comes to the treatment of your child is to provide the tools needed to help kids work through the problems they are facing to live a healthier and happier life. We strive to provide premium mental health services by offering extended benefits such as:
- Extended hours: We understand how busy schedules can get. That’s why at Thriveworks we offer extended hours to our clients. This includes daytime, evening, and weekend appointments.
- Flexible cancellations: It’s hard to predict when something will come up that prevents you from making it to your session. We have a flexible cancellation or reschedule policy that allows you to change your appointment, as long as you give a 23.5-hour notice.
- Most major insurance accepted: To better serve our communities, we accept most major insurance plans. In addition, we have self-pay options that allow you to choose what suits you best.
If you are ready to help your child work through their issues and regain a better state of being, schedule an appointment with us. You can do so either by booking through our online booking system or by calling (203) 433-3563 where you will be connected with a scheduling specialist.