Marriage and Couples Counseling – Counselors in Nashville TN
From little squabbles now and then to big issues that threaten major discord, no marriage is immune to disagreements or challenges. However, just because it may be “normal” that every couple faces problems now and then, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t take them seriously.
If you and your spouse are struggling to see eye to eye, Nashville TN marriage therapy is certainly worth considering as a conduit to help you achieve resolution. In fact, you may wish to think of it as an investment in your relationship and yourselves.
The Highs and Lows of Married Life
Of course, it is normal for relationships to have their ups and downs throughout the years. Some days you’re living in peace and harmony, while at other times it may seem like you argue over everything.
Even little disagreements can take their toll over time, but some couples still brush them off because their relationship has otherwise been satisfactory. But why wait until things get worse?
So Many Marriage Issues
Our highly skilled Nashville TN marriage therapists have truly “heard it all.” Over time, they have come to recognize trends in the disagreements of many married couples. Some of these common issues include:
- Concern that a partner has been or may be unfaithful
- Short tempers, aggression or anger towards a spouse or children
- Struggling to communicate effectively with one another
- Disagreements about how to raise or discipline children
- Worry about spending habits, debt and budgeting.
While the professionals at Nashville TN couples counseling have come to understand that spouses from all walks of life can have similar disagreements, they also know that no two couples are ever the same. You can expect highly personalized, attentive support for whatever challenges you’re facing.
At Nashville TN marriage therapy, we can also help with more unique situations, including:
- Therapy for couples with a partner who has come out as transgender
- Disagreements over addictions to video games, shopping or gambling
- Anxiety over new or unusual sexual preferences
- Stress about raising children when spouses come from two different religions or cultures.
In a recent survey by the American Association of Marriage and Family Therapists, 97% of people reported they were successful in receiving the help they needed from a trained counselor. Furthermore, 93% of those people shared that seeing a therapist left them feeling better equipped to deal with any relationship issues, should they occur in the future.
Why Try Nashville TN Couples Counseling?
Are you still not sure whether seeing a counselor is the right choice for you and your husband or wife? Here are a few points that you may want to keep in mind when deciding whether to pursue therapy:
- Professional counselors are experts at helping you move ahead when you feel stuck, making counseling an effective option for couples who know what’s wrong, but not how to fix it
- Regardless of the outcome, participating in counseling is wise if you feel you want to give your relationship another chance
- Therapy can help you and your spouse develop better problem solving and communication skills as individuals, as well as a couple
- Participating in counseling can aide you in gaining a deeper understanding of who your spouse truly is and what motivates him or her.
Making Tough Decisions
We wholeheartedly believe in, and have seen the benefits of, couples attending marriage counseling. However, we also recognize that sometimes divorce truly is the best option. Despite your best intentions, hopes and dreams when you said “I do,” or active participation in therapy, it is possible you may realize that separating is healthy for you both.
The stigma that was once associated with divorce is changing; more couples are able to admit when they’re struggling or not feeling engaged in their relationship any longer, and they’re more willing to seek help to resolve the matter. At the same time, more partners are recognizing it’s acceptable to move on when things truly aren’t working, rather than staying together to put on a show.
Perhaps you haven’t tried therapy, but you and your partner have already made the decision you want to separate. Nashville TN couples counseling can still facilitate the resolution of your issues so you can go forward in the most positive light possible. This is a wonderful outcome for your own, personal well-being and can also make the situation more manageable if you’ll be co-parenting.
Divorce isn’t where anyone expects their marriage to wind up, but working through your issues in a safe, supportive environment with an Nashville TN couples counselor can help make a tough period in your life a bit easier.
Reach Out to an Nashville TN Marriage Therapist
If you and your partner are considering Nashville TN marriage therapy, don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions you may have. Our counselors are keen to help.